Rascals Sweep Doubleheader
O'FALLON, Mo. - The River City Rascals swept their doubleheader over the Windy City ThunderBolts on Wednesday night, winning both games by a score of 2-1. Zach Lavy delivered the walk-off single in the 10th inning of the opener, and provided the go-ahead home run in the nightcap.
In Game 1, neither team scored over the first six innings, and the Bolts finally broke through on an RBI single from Michael Mateja in the top of the seventh. However, Braxton Martinez led-off the bottom of the frame with a double, and Andrew Penner ended up tying the game on a sacrifice fly. After neither team scored over the first two extra-innings, Lavy brought home the winning run on a single off the wall in right in the bottom of the 10th.
Rascals starter Austin Dubsky went six innings in a no-decision, allowing one run and striking out eight. Reliever Jason Zgardowski (2-1) earned the win, retiring all six hitters he faced. Bolts starter Sean Leland also took a no-decision, pitching five scoreless innings with four strikeouts. Reliever Connor Mayes (1-3) suffered the loss.
In Game 2, Kameron Esthay got the scoring started with a solo shot in the bottom of the fourth. The Bolts quickly tied the game, however, on an RBI single from Jordan Swiss in the top of the fifth. Lavy's blast in the bottom of the fifth put the Rascals up for good. Andrew Vernon allowed a lead-off double in the top of the seventh, but retired the next three hitters in order to earn the save.
Keenan Bartlett (1-1) was brilliant for the Rascals, allowing just an unearned run on two hits over six innings. He struck out eight without issuing a walk. Bolts starter Kenny Mathews pitched a six-inning complete game, allowing two runs while striking out seven.
The Rascals (42-33) will look for the series sweep over the ThunderBolts (30-44) in tomorrow night's finale, with first pitch scheduled for 6:35 p.m. CDT from CarShield Field. Travis McQueen is expected to take the mound for the Rascals.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 8, 2019
- Freedom Swing to a Sweep - Florence Freedom
- Otters Complete Home Sweep of Crushers - Evansville Otters
- One Swing Results in Florence Sweep - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Blasted in Finale - River City Rascals
- Series Finale Goes 11, Wild Things Win in 11th - Washington Wild Things
- ThunderBolts Use the Long Ball to Beat the Rascals - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Freedom Rout Boomers to Take Series - Florence Freedom
- Rascals Sweep Doubleheader - River City Rascals
- Long's Clutch RBI Gives Otters Series Win - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.