Oklahoma City Outlasts Birmingham in Shootout
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Birmingham Squadron (2-5), NBA G League affiliate of the New Orleans Pelicans, fell to the Oklahoma City Blue (5-4) in a tight battle Monday night, 124-117.
After trailing the majority of the game and being down by as many as 13, the Squadron climbed back with a 41-point performance in the third quarter to finally take a lead heading into the fourth quarter. The team's 41 points in the third are tied for a season-high in a single quarter, including the 14-game Showcase earlier this season.
After a back and forth battle in the fourth, back-to-back buckets and a steal by Blue forward D.J. Wilson would seal the victory for Oklahoma City.
Wilson and guard Theo Maledon both tied for the team lead with 24 points, and Wilson added 11 rebounds, notching a double-double. Blue guard Rob Edwards gave a significant spark off the bench, posting 23 points, one assist and one steal in the contest.
Guard Jared Harper led the way again for the Squadron, recording 34 points, a regular-season high for the Auburn alum. Harper nearly posted a double-double, adding nine assists, six rebounds and four steals in the contest. Guard Darius Adams put up a season-high 18 points off the bench, shooting a very efficient 5-for-8 from the field (.625) and 4-for-5 from behind the arc (.800).
The Squadron take the floor against the Oklahoma City Blue again Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. CT.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 25, 2022
- Santa Cruz Falls to Rio Grande Valley, 134-110 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Texas Legends Split Series with Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Skyhawks Win Nail-Biter against Long Island Nets - College Park Skyhawks
- Iowa Wolves Add Chris Walker - Iowa Wolves
- NBA G League News & Notes: January 25 - G League
- Legends Host Military Appreciation Night - Texas Legends
- Nix Earns NBA G League Player of the Week Honors - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Greensboro Swarm Make Roster Move - Greensboro Swarm
- Taylor's Career Day Propels Mad Ants to Overtime Win over Maine - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Turnovers Cost Maine in OT Loss to Mad Ants - Maine Celtics
- Vipers Add Phillip Wheeler and Jordan Tucker to Roster - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stars Host Junior Jazz Night at Vivint Arena January 28 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Knicks' Williams Makes History as 905 Outlasts Westchester - Westchester Knicks
- Clippers Suffer First Loss of the Season to Kings - Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario
- Oklahoma City Outlasts Birmingham in Shootout - Birmingham Squadron
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Squadron Stories
- New Orleans Pelicans to Host Preseason Game in Birmingham
- Birmingham Squadron to Host 2022 NBA Draft Party at Avondale Brewing Company
- Birmingham Squadron Announces Six Priority Dates for 2022-23 Season
- Squadron Guard Jared Harper Earns All-NBA G League Third Team Honors
- Squadron Concludes Inaugural Season with Loss in Western Conference Quarterfinals