Oil Kings Earn 20th Win of the Season with 3-1 Decision over Broncos
On the outside looking in, it may seem like it was just your run of the mill, mid-week game in December, but in fact it's a significant mile marker of the season.
The Edmonton Oil Kings (20-6-5-2) earned their 20th win of the season after skating to a 3-1 decision over the Swift Current Broncos (6-20-1-2) in front of 4,007 fans at Rogers Place on Wednesday night.
The Oil Kings blazed their path to 20 wins in just 33 games, compared to last season when they reached the mark on December 30, 2018 in game 39 of the season.
Tonight marks the fastest the Oil Kings have reached the 20-win mark since the 2013-14 campaign when they earned their 20th victory on December 10, 2013 in their 30th game of the season.
Jake Neighbours, David Kope and Riley Sawchuk (EN) were the goal scorers for the Oil Kings, who face-off against the Swift Current Broncos again in just 48 hours time here at Rogers Place on Friday, December 13 at 7:00 PM.
Todd Scott (9-4-4-1) earned the win, despite being the less busy of the two goaltenders on the night. The 19-year-old made two saves in the first, eight in the second and five in the third for a total of 15 of 16 shots he faced on the night.
Isaac Poulter (6-13-1-1) took the loss despite a 32-save effort on 34 Oil Kings shots.
The Oil Kings opened the scoring just over five minutes into the game, as Neighbours' tip-in in front gave him nine goals on the season, from Matthew Robertson and Sawchuk, at 5:24.
Just 34 seconds later it was 2-0 Oil Kings, as Ethan McIndoe and Kope broke into the Broncos zone on a 2-on-1 ending with Kope burying his tenth of the season at 5:58, with Ethan Cap earning the second assist.
Shots on goal were tilted heavily in Edmonton's favour in the opening 20 minutes, 15-2.
In the second, Caleb Wystrok's first career WHL goal cut the Edmonton lead to 2-1, and was the lone goal scored in the middle frame.
Shots were 9-8, Swift Current, in the second for a two-period total of 23-22, Edmonton.
Five minutes into the third, the Oil Kings were whistled for a four-minute double minor for slew-footing, but managed to kill off the extended Broncos man advantage.
Also at the time of the penalty, Scott left the ice due to an equipment malfunction, which saw Sebastian Cossa enter the crease for 3:41 but face no shots.
Scott returned to the Oil Kings goal at 9:27 of the third, and turned aside the remainder of the offensive chances generated by the home side before Sawchuk sailed his 13th goal of the season into an empty net to solidify the 3-1 win.
Final shots on goal were 34-16, Oil Kings.
Swift Current was 0-for-4 on the power play, while Edmonton was 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
Isaac Poulter (SC) (3), Jake Neighbours (EDM) (2), and Ethan McIndoe (EDM) (1) were selected as the Three Stars of the Game.
Wyatt McLeod, Matthew Robertson and Ethan Cap each wore an "A" and skated as alternates to captain Scott Atkinson.
After Friday's meeting with the Broncos, the Oil Kings close out the unofficial first half of the season leading into the holiday break when they travel to Medicine Hat to take on the Tigers the next night, Saturday, December 14, at 7:00 PM.
EOK365 Season Seat Memberships,Â Five-Star Plans, Flex Packs and single game tickets are available for every Edmonton Oil Kings game this season. Ticket packages start at just $99 per seat, and single game tickets are as low as $20. Call 780-414-GOAL (4625), emailÂ [email protected]Â or visitÂ OilKings.caÂ for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2019
- Bowen Byram One of 24 Players Moving Forward with Hockey Canada to the 2020 IIHF World Juniors - Vancouver Giants
- Rebels Winger Bains Pushing Forward in His Second Full WHL Season - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets set to wrap up road trip - Kelowna Rockets
- Raiders Acquire Harrison from Blazers - Prince Albert Raiders
- Blazers Acquire Conditional Pick for Harrison - Kamloops Blazers
- Wheat Kings to Host Warriors; Teddy Bear Toss Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rebels Slip in Second Period, Fall 4-2 to 'Canes - Red Deer Rebels
- Oil Kings Earn 20th Win of the Season with 3-1 Decision over Broncos - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Wyrostok Impresses in Debut, But Broncos Fall in Edmonton - Swift Current Broncos
- ICE Get 3-1 Win over Rockets to Make It 8-In-A-Row at Home - Winnipeg Ice
- Raiders Drop Mid-Week Tilt With Tigers - Prince Albert Raiders
- ICE freeze out Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Four Goal Third Period Lifts Tigers Past Raiders - Medicine Hat Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Canadian Hockey League Launches Memorial ECup Tournament
- Neighbours Drafted 26th Overall by St. Louis Blues
- St. Louis Blues Select Jake Neighbours 26th Overall in the 2020 NHL Draft
- Edmonton to Host Back-To-Back World Juniors
- Oil Kings Acquire Draft Picks from Everett