Wyrostok Impresses in Debut, But Broncos Fall in Edmonton
EDMONTON, AB - The Swift Current Broncos (6-20-1-2) got a dream Western Hockey League debut from prospect Caleb Wyrostok as he scored in his first ever game, but that was all the offence they would get as the dropped a 3-1 game to the Edmonton Oil Kings (20-6-5-2) Wednesday night.
Much like the past two games, the Broncos found themselves giving up a pair of quick-strike goals as the Oil Kings struck quickly.
After Jake Neighbours deflected a shot from the blue line to open the scoring, 34 seconds later Edmonton came in on a two-on-one rush.
Ethan McIndoe saucered the puck to David Kope who tapped it past an outstretched Isaac Poulter to give Edmonton a 2-0 lead 5:58 into the first period. Hayden Ostir hit the post not long after as the period ended 2-0.
Ethan Regnier then found iron early in the as the Broncos pressured to cut into Edmonton's lead. Then Wyrostok struck.
After intercepting a puck at centre, Wyrostok caught the Oil Kings defenceman flat footed and stepped around him. After protecting the puck and taking it to the net, Wyrostok was able to pull it around Todd Scott and slide it home to score in his WHL debut and cut into the Oil Kings lead.
The second period ended 2-1 after Swift Current outshot Edmonton 9-8 in the period.
The Broncos had a glorious opportunity to tie the game in the third when Jalen Lyupen was given a four-minute penalty for slewfooting, and Scott was forced to the bench with an equipment issue.
Sebastian Cossa was forced into action on a penalty kill, but the Broncos couldn't get the puck to the net and Edmonton killed off the power play.
With Poulter on the bench late in the game, the puck was turned over at the Edmonton line and Riley Sawchuk hit the empty net to make the final score 3-1.
The Broncos have their chance at revenge on Friday night as the two teams will meet again at Rogers Place.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2019
- Bowen Byram One of 24 Players Moving Forward with Hockey Canada to the 2020 IIHF World Juniors - Vancouver Giants
- Rebels Winger Bains Pushing Forward in His Second Full WHL Season - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets set to wrap up road trip - Kelowna Rockets
- Raiders Acquire Harrison from Blazers - Prince Albert Raiders
- Blazers Acquire Conditional Pick for Harrison - Kamloops Blazers
- Wheat Kings to Host Warriors; Teddy Bear Toss Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rebels Slip in Second Period, Fall 4-2 to 'Canes - Red Deer Rebels
- Oil Kings Earn 20th Win of the Season with 3-1 Decision over Broncos - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Wyrostok Impresses in Debut, But Broncos Fall in Edmonton - Swift Current Broncos
- ICE Get 3-1 Win over Rockets to Make It 8-In-A-Row at Home - Winnipeg Ice
- Raiders Drop Mid-Week Tilt With Tigers - Prince Albert Raiders
- ICE freeze out Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Four Goal Third Period Lifts Tigers Past Raiders - Medicine Hat Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Swift Current Broncos Stories
- Prospect Profile: Carter Stebbings
- Golden West Broadcasting to Air Living Sky Casino Broncos Hockey for 2020-21 Season
- Saskatchewan's Five WHL Teams Announce Hockey Harvest Lottery
- Broncos Claim Michael Farren off Waivers from Kelowna
- Prospect Profile: Josh Filmon