O'Connor Stops 41 in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Albany
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - Despite 41 saves from goaltender Matt O'Connor, the Binghamton Senators came up just short against the visiting Albany Devils, 3-2, in a shootout at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena on Friday night.
The B-Sens scored the only two goals in the opening 20 minutes of play. The first goal came just 1:14 into the game when Jason Akeson scored his 14th goal of the season. Francis Perron passed the puck from the top left side of the zone to Kyle Flanagan waiting in the right faceoff circle. Flanagan immediately sent a hard pass to Akeson who was behind Mackenzie Blackwood's right shoulder. Akeson held the puck faking a wrap around attempt and snuck the puck past Blackwood's leg for the 1-0 lead.
Brandon Gormley tallied his first goal since being traded to the B-Sens from the Devils at the 10:41 mark of the first. Casey Bailey took a shot in the slot that rebounded off a Devils' skate to Gormley back on the blue line. Gormley sent a slap by his former goaltender's glove hand and Jack Rodewald picked up the secondary assist on Gormley's third of the year. Binghamton went to the locker room leading Albany 2-0 and outshooting them 8-5.
The Devils cut the B-Sens lead in half when Ryan Kujawinski scored his sixth goal of the year three minutes into the middle frame. Andrew MacWilliam took a shot on Matt O'Connor that rebounded off his pad to Kujawinski's stick as he skated up to the net. Kujawinski brought it to a 2-1 game with Josh Jacobs earning the secondary assist.
Jacob MacDonald capitalized on an Albany power play with less than two minutes into the second period to tie the game. MacDonald sent his fifth of the year over O'Connor's glove hand as he moved across the point with Blake Pietila and Carter Camper assisting. Binghamton went to the final intermission tied 2-2 while being outshot 24-10.
After no scoring in the third period or overtime, the game was decided in a shootout. In the final round, John Quenneville beat O'Connor for the extra point in a 3-2 Devils' win.
O'Connor stopped 41 shots in the loss while Blackwood denied just 14 in the win.
The B-Sens are back on home ice tomorrow against the Hershey Bears with a 7:05 p.m. puck drop. Fans can purchase tickets Saturday from 8:00 a.m. until the second intermission by calling (607) 722-7367 or visiting the B-Sens Executive Office on the third floor of the Arena. Fans can tune in on U.S. Country 96.9 FM, 680 AM, iHeartRadio's website and mobile app, and AHL Live.
For more information on tickets, including pricing and location, visit www.binghamtonsenators.com or call the Senators front office at 607-722-SENS (7367).
Stay current with the latest team news by visiting www.binghamtonsenators.com. Follow the Senators all year long on Facebook (/binghamtonsenators), Twitter (@SenatorsAHL), Instagram (@senatorsahl), Snapchat (@bsenshockey), and the team's Youtube channel (/BinghamtonSenators).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 11, 2017
- Reign Pepper Roadrunners with Season-High 54 Shots; Fall 5-4 - Ontario Reign
- Condors Downed by Heat, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Lyon Backstops Phantoms 3rd Straight W, 4-1 over Utica - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Blank Admirals 4-0 - Chicago Wolves
- IceCaps Slip Past Crunch, 3-2, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Get Blanked by Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wild Holds off Stars, Sweeps Weekend Series - Iowa Wild
- RECAP: Strong Start Sees Penguins Beat Bruins, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Defeat Sound Tigers in Saturday Outing - Albany Devils
- Game Recap: Devils 4, Sound Tigers 1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- RECAP | IceCaps Clip Crunch 3-2 in OT - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Win Streak Snapped with Loss to Phantoms - Utica Comets
- McINTYRE PULLED IN FIRST, P-BRUINS FALL 3-2 TO PENS - Providence Bruins
- B-Sens Lose to Bears 7-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Albany Devils Transactions -- 2017.03.11 - Albany Devils
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Sends Christian Hilbrich, Brett - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Canucks Recall Forward Joseph Labate from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Condors Host Stockton in Pivotal Pacific Division Matchup - Bakersfield Condors
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Matthew Peca from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Collide with Roadrunners Tonight On - Ontario Reign
- Wolf Pack Announce Roster Moves - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Winnipeg Jets Release- Jets Recall Melchiori from Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Gulls Extend Point Streak to Seven Games with 2-1 Win Over - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Oust Ontario in Overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Fall in Overtime Thriller to Condors - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Buoyed by 30-Shot Barrage - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Top Senators in Shootout Victory - Albany Devils
- RECAP | IceCaps Down Amerks 3-2 - St. John's IceCaps
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Charlotte 4 at Manitoba 1 - Manitoba Moose
- Gaudreau, Aberg Help Admirals Pen Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Game Recap | Amerks Close out Homestand with Loss to IceCaps - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Rolls Texas En Route to Record Victory - Iowa Wild
- Crunch Fall to Thunderbirds, 3-2, in Final Minutes - Syracuse Crunch
- GAME RECAP: Checkers Earn Two-Game Sweep in Manitoba - Charlotte Checkers
- Knight Nets Late Winner as Phantoms Down Bears 3-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Recap: Comets 2, Sound Tigers 1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- RECAP: Eight Different Penguins Score in Win over Wolf Pack - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 8, Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Roll to Sixth Straight Win - Utica Comets
- O'Connor Stops 41 in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls