OCB Falls 3-1 to FC Cincinnati in Heavy Rain
MELBOURNE, Fla. - Following a weather delay of over two hours, Orlando City B (2-5-1, 7 points) fell 3-1 to FC Cincinnati (4-2-1, 13 points). Bryan Róchez scored the lone OCB goal in the 52nd minute.
"I'm disappointed because I didn't think we deserved to lose the game to be honest, I thought a draw probably would've been the fair result on the balance of play," OCB Head Coach Anthony Pulis said. "I thought they had some good opportunities and I thought we played some good stuff. I said to the guys at halftime, 'the only way we are concede a goal tonight is from us making a mistake,' and unfortunately, if you defend the way we defended in the second half, you are going to lose games of football. Individual errors have cost us dear tonight."
Former University of Central Florida attacker Hadji Barry created the goal when he dribbled in from the right wing and was taken down in the box for a penalty kick. Róchez lined up to take the penalty kick, sending FC Cincinnati goalkeeper Mitch Hildebrandt the wrong direction. It was the Honduran's second goal of the season.
FC Cincinnati responded just five minutes later when Kenny Walker blasted a shot from 25 yards to tie the game. Cincinnati extended their lead in the 78th minute when Sean Okoli scored a penalty kick. OCB goalkeeper Mark Ridgers was forced to make a tackle in the box and earned a straight red card in the 76th minute. Pulis exchanged Róchez for goalkeeper Jake Fenlason, who made his first appearance for OCB, in the 77th minute. Cincinnati extended their lead in the final seconds of the match when recently substituted Eric Stevenson drove home a shot.
It was an eventful second half that followed a scoreless first half. Marius Obekop created several chances in the first half. He took a strong left-footed strike in the 25th minute and again in the 36th. OCB's best opportunity of the half came in the 42nd minute when Mikey Ambrose worked the ball up to Hadji Barry on the left wing. Barry worked off two defenders and crossed to Obekop, who was unmarked outside the box, but Obekop's shot was blocked on its way to goal.
The solid play of goalkeeper Ridgers kept the score level in the first half. The Scott made several saves, including a diving save in the 21st minute on a right-footed shot from the edge of the box. Ridgers was called into action again in the 45th minute when a lofting cross threatened the goal, forcing the 25-year-old goalkeeper to punch it away.
OCB returns to action on Saturday, May 7, at Titan Soccer Complex to host Bethlehem Steel FC. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. E.T. Tickets to all City home matches are available at OrlandoCitySC.com or by calling 855-ORL-CITY. Follow the latest Orlando City news and updates via Facebook, Twitter,Instagram and YouTube.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 5, 2016
- OCB Finishes Busy Week Saturday against Bethlehem Steel FC - Orlando City B
- Islanders Host Cincinnati for First Time in Club History - Penn FC
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Ryan Roushandel - San Antonio FC
- Hammerheads Travel to Richmond for Round 2 - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- U.S. Women's National Team Defender Christie Rampone to Attend Sacramento Republic FC Match May 14 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Provisional Rosters Announced for 2016 Copa America - Phoenix Rising FC
- Charleston Battery at Rochester Rhinos Preview - Charleston Battery
- Sacramento Republic FC to Host Tryouts for U-14, U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy Teams - Sacramento Republic FC
- Kickers Host Wilmington Saturday - Richmond Kickers
- Late Goals Not Enough to Edge LA Galaxy II - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Roughnecks Falter in Final Minutes in 3-2 Loss - FC Tulsa
- FC Cincinnati Handles Weather, OCB in 3-1 Road Win - FC Cincinnati
- Greig, Froese, Haber Lead Whitecaps FC 2 to Thrilling Late Comeback over Tulsa Roughnecks FC 3-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- OCB Falls 3-1 to FC Cincinnati in Heavy Rain - Orlando City B
- LouCity Silences MLS-Loaded Toronto FC II in Midweek Match - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City B Stories
- Orlando City B Announces Roster Statuses Following 2020 Season
- Orlando City B Falls to League One Leader Greenville
- Orlando City B to Play Season Finale against Greenville Triumph
- Orlando City B Falls to Richmond Kickers
- Orlando City B Returns Home to Face the Richmond Kickers