Late Goals Not Enough to Edge LA Galaxy II
Carson, CA - The Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC fell 3-2 to La Galaxy II Wednesday Night behind a Scott Mc Bean hat trick, in the first of their two game road trip to California.
The first half showed both teams applying pressure early with Los Angeles providing the bulk of the pressure in the early going. Los Angeles created havoc in the midfield and were able to consistently play balls into the box on the ground but the Switchbacks backline stood firm. Los Angeles had an opportunity to get the first goal in the 22nd minute but it was saved by a fully stretched Devala Gorrick who then caught the ensuing corner kick. Unfortunately a questionable call led to Gorrick committing a foul inside the box in the 31st minute which led to LA's leading scorer McBride to converting from 12 yards out giving him his USL leading 7th of the season. Captain Luke Vercollone nearly equalized four minutes later but his shot bounced off the post. LA would take the 1-0 lead into halftime.
"It was a disappointing loss." Said starting goalkeeper Devala Gorrick. "It was a poor decision on the penalty, hopefully the league takes a look at it, and sees what happened. Our response in the game was phenomenal, we'll be ready to go on Sunday."
Unfortunately things would only worsen for the Switchback as Jack Mcbean was able to score less than two minutes into the second half to double the lead for LA tearing through the Switchbacks backline. McBean nearly got his hat trick in the 53rd minute but Devala Gorrick was able to come up with two huge saves. Luke had another opportunity a few minutes later but was called offside followed by Marty Maybin getting the flag a few minutes later. McBean was finally able to claim his hat trick in the 71st minute as he notched his USL leading 9th.
The Switchbacks would make a few substitutions in the second half that would prove key to their near-comeback. Saeed Robinson was able to score his first of the season only 10 minutes after coming on in the 77th minute as Mike Seth found him inside the box where he slotted it home. JJ Greer was nearly able to make it a one goal game after coming on in the 88th minute but his header went inches wide of the post. Mike Seth was able to score his second of the season as Saeed Robinson found Mike Seth the net in stoppage time to make it a one goal game. The Switchbacks had a few more chances late in the match but the late goals weren't quite enough to overcome McBean's hat trick.
Unfortunately for the Switchbacks an unusual amount of offside calls prevented the Switchbacks from multiple scoring opportunities. Miguel, Marty, and Luke were all victims of multiple offside calls that may have very well indeed prevented an improbable comeback. Nevertheless, the Switchbacks never gave up despite being down 3-0, and were able to rally to score twice but the late goals weren't quite enough to top Western Conference Leading LA Galaxy II.
"I'm proud of the way they fought back" Said Head Coach Steve Trittschuh following the loss, " Unfortunately a lot calls were beyond our control but, If they keep playing like that we'll win a lot of games.".
The Switchbacks will remain in California as they prepare for their next match against the 2015 regular season Western Conference champions, Orange County Blues on Sunday afternoon at 5:00 p.m. MDT.
The Switchbacks will return to Switchbacks Stadium on Friday, May 13th for the United Soccer League "Game of the Week" which will be shown live on ESPN 3. Tickets are available at switchbacksfc.com or by calling 719-368-8480 x1.
Images from this story
Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC vs. LA Galaxy II
(LA Galaxy/Robert Mora)
Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Face LA Galaxy II
Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Defend against LA Galaxy II
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 5, 2016
- OCB Finishes Busy Week Saturday against Bethlehem Steel FC - Orlando City B
- Islanders Host Cincinnati for First Time in Club History - Penn FC
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Ryan Roushandel - San Antonio FC
- Hammerheads Travel to Richmond for Round 2 - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- U.S. Women's National Team Defender Christie Rampone to Attend Sacramento Republic FC Match May 14 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Provisional Rosters Announced for 2016 Copa America - Phoenix Rising FC
- Charleston Battery at Rochester Rhinos Preview - Charleston Battery
- Sacramento Republic FC to Host Tryouts for U-14, U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy Teams - Sacramento Republic FC
- Kickers Host Wilmington Saturday - Richmond Kickers
- Late Goals Not Enough to Edge LA Galaxy II - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Roughnecks Falter in Final Minutes in 3-2 Loss - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- FC Cincinnati Handles Weather, OCB in 3-1 Road Win - FC Cincinnati
- Greig, Froese, Haber Lead Whitecaps FC 2 to Thrilling Late Comeback over Tulsa Roughnecks FC 3-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- OCB Falls 3-1 to FC Cincinnati in Heavy Rain - Orlando City B
- LouCity Silences MLS-Loaded Toronto FC II in Midweek Match - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Stories
- Switchbacks FC Defy Odds to Complete Comeback in Season Finale
- Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road Behind Two Second-Half Stoppage Time Goals
- Andre Rawls Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Switchbacks FC Complete Sweep of LA Galaxy II in Home Finale
- Abraham Rodriguez Named to USL 20 Under 20 List