Islanders Host Cincinnati for First Time in Club History
Harrisburg, PA - City will return home this Saturday, May 7 to take on USL newcomer FC Cincinnati and look to get back on track after falling 2-1 in their last game on the road in Rochester.
So far this season City Islanders FC have played only two games at home, while having to stay on the road for the four others. In those four road games they are 1-3-0 and have only managed four goals against their opponents. At home, they have only played two games and have scored just as many goals.
At home, City has a 1-1 record but has shown the quality to grab points in both games with the possibility of taking a victory against top USL eastern conference rivals. The last time the Isles saw friendly ground was against Orlando City FC in a 2-1 win. Shane Johnson's first goal in the second half proved to be the winning goal in the match to give City their first win at home.
Craig Foster, who is tied as the team's scorer, tallied the lone goal in their last outing against Rochester. Foster is tied with Paul Wilson with four points apiece on the season. These two along with Jose Barril, Brett Jankouskas and Cardel Benbow will be key for the Isles to string points together during the season.
After losing their first game of the season, Cincinnati has not lost since. They are on a six-game unbeaten streak coming into Saturday's game. They have three players who have registered at least two goals on the season and 11 different players have notched a point.
Cincinnati lept into the second spot in the conference with their victory on Wednesday. The Eastern Conference foes will face-off one more time on Saturday, May 28 in Cincinnati.
Despite playing Orlando just one day ago, FC Cincinnati Head Coach and National Soccer Hall of Fame inductee John Harkes is up for the test when his squad travels to Harrisburg for the first time in club history.
"As a brand new club in the USL, we approach each game with great enthusiasm," said Harkes. "Competing against the City Islanders will be a huge challenge as it will be our third game in seven days, and eighth overall. We look forward to a great game."
After the Cincinnati game, one of the Isles biggest rivals will come to the Island. The Charleston Battery will make their first and only trip to FNB Field this season on Monday, May 9 at 7 p.m. Last season the Islanders only managed one tally while giving up 10 total goals in three games against the Battery. The Islanders lost all three games.
Charleston comes into the game with one win in their last four games and have failed to register a win on the road this season. In their last outing the Battery drew 1-1 with Pittsburgh with Justin Portillo scoring the goal to knot the game up in the 64th minute.
Potillo, Romario Wilson and Taylor Meuller are the only three players for Charleston who have registered points on the season. Wilson is the leading scorer with three goals. A combination of two goalies have played between the pipes for Charleston. Both Alexander Tambakis and Odisnel Cooper have been splitting time.
City return to FNB Field for over a month following the Charleston match up. Their next few home games will take place at Clipper Magazine Stadium on May 22 at 6 p.m. and May 24 at 7 p.m. Get your tickets for both games and don't miss a minute of this seasons actions.
For these upcoming matches fans will have the opportunity to purchase tickets for both Saturday and Monday's matches and a 2016 City Islanders Football Club scarf for only $25. Reserve your seat today!
For more information and tickets please visit www.cityislanders.com or call 717-441-GOAL (4625). Follow us on Instagram and Twitter at @city_islanders or Facebook by liking Harrisburg City Islanders.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 5, 2016
- OCB Finishes Busy Week Saturday against Bethlehem Steel FC - Orlando City B
- Islanders Host Cincinnati for First Time in Club History - Penn FC
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Ryan Roushandel - San Antonio FC
- Hammerheads Travel to Richmond for Round 2 - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- U.S. Women's National Team Defender Christie Rampone to Attend Sacramento Republic FC Match May 14 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Provisional Rosters Announced for 2016 Copa America - Phoenix Rising FC
- Charleston Battery at Rochester Rhinos Preview - Charleston Battery
- Sacramento Republic FC to Host Tryouts for U-14, U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy Teams - Sacramento Republic FC
- Kickers Host Wilmington Saturday - Richmond Kickers
- Late Goals Not Enough to Edge LA Galaxy II - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Roughnecks Falter in Final Minutes in 3-2 Loss - FC Tulsa
- FC Cincinnati Handles Weather, OCB in 3-1 Road Win - FC Cincinnati
- Greig, Froese, Haber Lead Whitecaps FC 2 to Thrilling Late Comeback over Tulsa Roughnecks FC 3-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- OCB Falls 3-1 to FC Cincinnati in Heavy Rain - Orlando City B
- LouCity Silences MLS-Loaded Toronto FC II in Midweek Match - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.