Nuts Erase Two Deficits to Win 9-3
Modesto, CA - With a 9-3 victory on Thursday night at John Thurman Field, the Modesto Nuts have won two straight games against the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes.
Connor Phillips (W, 5-3) surrendered a two-out RBI single in the first inning to put the Nuts (41-34) behind by a run briefly. In the bottom of the first, the Nuts responded quickly against Quakes (41-33) starter Kendell Williams (L, 3-2).
In the bottom of the first, Robert Perez Jr. recorded the first of his two RBI with a 1B. Brett Rodriguez brought home the go-ahead run when he hit a rocket off the glove of the shortstop Alex De Jesus.
In the top of the fourth, the Quakes retook the lead against Phillips and the Nuts. Jose Ramos doubled home two runs with two outs. In the bottom of the fourth, the Nuts quickly erased their deficit again. After an error and a double, Eric Jones singled home two runs to put the Nuts back on top. Jones ended the night with four singles in the game.
Phillips worked five innings and struck out eight with two walks.
Alberto Rodriguez added three hits and two RBI. Cesar Izturis Jr. recorded two hits including a double with two runs scored.
Game four of the six-game series with the Quakes is on Friday night at 7:05 pm at John Thurman Field.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A West League message board...
Low-A West League Stories from July 30, 2021
- We're Going Streaking: Ronny Simon Powers Rawhide to First Win Streak in a Month - Visalia Rawhide
- Quartet of Grizzlies Pitchers Calm Storm 3-2 to Notch 50th Win of Season - Fresno Grizzlies
- Giants Fall 6-3 to 66ers, Win Streak Snapped - San Jose Giants
- Ports' Bats Silent in Loss to Rawhide - Stockton Ports
- Nuts Erase Two Deficits to Win 9-3 - Modesto Nuts
- Quakes Drop Second Straight in Modesto - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.