Notes & Quotes: Columbus Crew 2 - 1 New York City FC
Columbus Crew 2 - 1 New York City FC
Saturday, July 17, 2021
2021 MLS Regular Season - Game 12
Lower.com Field - Columbus, OH
Columbus Crew: Eloy Room; Saad Abdul-Salaam; Aboubacar Keita, Jonathan Mensah, Waylon Francis; Darlington Nagbe, Pedro Santos, Lucas Zelarayan (84' Isaiah Parente) ; Marlon Hairston (82' Perry Kitchen), Miguel Berry (64' Bradley Wright-Phillips), Alexandru Matan (58' Erik Hurtado)
SUBS UNUSED: Evan Bush, Matt Lampson, Grant Lillard
New York City FC: Luis Barraza; Anton Tinnerholm, Maxime Chanot, Alexander Callens, Gudmundur Thorarinsson (66' Malte Amundsen); Nicolas Acevedo (66' Alfredo Morales), Keaton Parks (82' Santiago Rodriguez), Maxi Moralez; Jesus Medina (66' Ismael Tajouri-Shradi), Valentin Castellanos, Thiago
SUBS UNUSED: Cody Mizell, Sebastien Ibeagha, Tony Rocha, Andres Jasson
45'+3' - CLB - Darlington Nagbe
47'- NYC - Jesus Medina
62' - CLB - Lucas Zelarayan
9' - CLB - Saad Abdul-Salaam - Yellow Card
31' - NYC - Maxime Chanot - Yellow Card
34' - NYC - Jesus Medina - Yellow Card
37' - CLB - Marlon Hairston - Yellow Card
39' - NYC - Nicolas Acevedo - Yellow Card
51' - NYC - Gudmundur Thorarinsson - Yellow Card
77' - CLB - Pedro Santos - Yellow Card
79' - CLB - Waylon Francis - Yellow Card
New York City FC Head Coach Ronny Deila:
On the game...
"As a coach you have to try and put yourself in situations that you have a good chance to win the game. That means you have to create more than the opponent, keep them away from getting chances and create something yourself. I think we did that very good today. I think the team was playing very good through the game. We don't get what we deserved in the end. Having said that, it's happened a lot of times now. Where we are dominant inside the boxes. We are taking the possession in the game as well, in their half all the time. We need to believe in what we're doing. This is the way forward to be a top team and win trophies. You need to control games on the ball and defend high up on the pitch when you have opportunities to do that. We weren't effective enough and they were really effective. I feel a little bit sad for the players because we deserved more. We're gonna play so many games now. It's keep on believing. Keep on improving the thing we can improve. We know what that is. The small things inside the boxes. Keep on being disciplined and organized, like we were today."
New York City FC Defender Anton Tinnerholm:
On frustrations after two losses...
"It's tough mentally when you the feeling after every game is that we're better than them. You look at the stats, you look at the expected goals, look at everything. It's not like we can change anything like we play, but this last thing is missing and it's really, really frustrating. The best part is now is that it's a new game on Wednesday and we want some revenge on Montreal. It's a lot of games coming up, and we have to bounce back directly."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 17, 2021
- CF Montreal Earns Wild 5-4 Win over FC Cincinnati in Return to Montreal - Club de Foot Montreal
- Ten-Man Chicago Fire FC Falls 5-1 to Nashville SC - Chicago Fire FC
- Notes & Quotes: Columbus Crew 2 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Toronto FC (1) - Orlando City SC (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Nani's Penalty Strike Earns Lions Road Point at Toronto - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Match against Inter Miami CF Postponed - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Match against the Red Bulls Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Takes on Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field Tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. PT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Falls 1-0 to New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Defeat Atlanta United FC, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Minnesota United FC vs. Seattle Sounders Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Face the Colorado Rapids Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC Head Coach Raphael Wicky to Miss Next Two Matches - Chicago Fire FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.