CF Montreal Earns Wild 5-4 Win over FC Cincinnati in Return to Montreal
MONTREAL - CF Montreal came back from a two-goal deficit twice in the game and won 5-4 against FC Cincinnati to tie a Club record in MLS with six consecutive games without a loss (4-0-2), Saturday, at Stade Saputo. It was a first game in Montreal since September 9, 2020. Mason Toye (21', 72'), Joaquin Torres (34') and Ahmed Hamdi (74', 87') scored for CF Montreal.
FULL GAME SUMMARY
-In his first start, Joaquin Torres scored his first MLS goal.
-Mathieu Choinière started his third consecutive game for the first time of his MLS career.
-Ahmed Hamdi scored his first two goals in MLS.
-Hamdi became the second player in Club history to score twice as a substitute.
-The five goals scored by CF Montréal tie a Club record.
-The total of nine goals scored by the two teams is a new Club record in MLS.
"That's the story with this team. It was the first home game, we were stressed, but in the end we finished the game like that. The players showed resilience today. Today we had tough moments and we were able to bounce back. With the four goals allowed, the players found what it takes in their bodies to score five. People that were here today were able to see what kind of emotions we want to give. As a coach, that's why we do this job. We played with many systems today. Tactically, I'm happy with this game. The players were able to answer from what I wanted to put in place."
"I'm a bit disappointed to have allowed four goals, but we can be happy with the character we showed to come back and win the game. We will use this result for the rest of the season. It was a good night for our fans. It was the first one in front of them and they helped a lot. It's great to have them back."
"It was the craziest game I have ever been part of, not even close. The fans were unbelievable. We can only think about what a full stadium sounds like. We don't like conceding four goals and having to score five to win, but it speaks to our resilience. We do not give up. We got three points so we move on and think about Wednesday. I'm playing in a team full of amazing players and great coaches."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 17, 2021
- CF Montreal Earns Wild 5-4 Win over FC Cincinnati in Return to Montreal - Club de Foot Montreal
- Ten-Man Chicago Fire FC Falls 5-1 to Nashville SC - Chicago Fire FC
- Notes & Quotes: Columbus Crew 2 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Toronto FC (1) - Orlando City SC (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Nani's Penalty Strike Earns Lions Road Point at Toronto - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Match against Inter Miami CF Postponed - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Match against the Red Bulls Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Takes on Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field Tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. PT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Falls 1-0 to New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Defeat Atlanta United FC, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Minnesota United FC vs. Seattle Sounders Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Face the Colorado Rapids Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC Head Coach Raphael Wicky to Miss Next Two Matches - Chicago Fire FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- FC Laval Joins CF Montréal's Scouting and Development Centre
- CF Montréal Tops HFX Wanderers FC 3-1
- CF Montréal Takes on the HFX Wanderers FC Wednesday Night in Halifax
- CF Montréal Announce Three Additions to the First Team Coaching Staff
- CF Montréal Take 2-0 Win over Chicago