North Carolina FC Midfielder Dre Fortune Named USL Championship Player of the Week
TAMPA, Fla. - North Carolina FC midfielder and Raleigh native Dre Fortune has been voted the USL Championship Player of the Week for Week 24 of the 2019 season. Fortune recorded two goals and one assist, and completed 64 of 67 passes overall in NCFC's 5-0 victory against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC Saturday night at Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park.
An NCFC Youth Academy product, the 23-year-old Fortune has six goals on the season. Fortune is one of only two players to be named USL Championship POTW twice this season.
Fortune received 45 percent of the poll conducted by a national panel of independent media representing every USL Championship market. New Sacramento Republic FC acquisition Thomas Enevoldsen finished second on 25 percent after recording two goals on his debut for the club in its victory against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC.
NCFC hosts the Tampa Bay Rowdies at Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park on Wednesday, Aug. 21, at 7:00 p.m. For tickets and information please visit NorthCarolinaFC.com or call the Coastal Credit Union Box Office at 919-459-8144.
USL Championship Team of the Week
GK - David Ochoa, Real Monarchs SLC: Ochoa recorded six saves to keep the Monarchs in the game as they earned a 1-1 draw on the road against Fresno FC on Friday night.
D - Drew Beckie, El Paso Locomotive FC: Beckie won 7 of 7 duels, completed 42 of 45 passes and made six recoveries and five clearances as 10-man Locomotive FC earned a shutout victory against Tacoma.
D - Taylor Washington, Nashville SC: Washington completed 5 of 8 crosses, had eight chances created and one assist and completed 37 of 43 passes overall in Nashville's 3-1 road victory against Charlotte.
D - Mustapha Dumbuya, Phoenix Rising FC: Dumbuya scored his first goal for Rising FC, won 5 of 6 duels and 3 of 4 tackles that included multiple crucial interventions in Phoenix's 4-2 victory against Reno 1868 FC.
M - Harry Forrester, Orange County SC: Forrester made 12 recoveries, won 13 of 19 duels and 5 of 5 tackles while also recording one assist and completing 55 of 71 passes in Orange County's 3-0 win against Las Vegas.
M - Daniel Johnson, Birmingham Legion FC: Johnson scored a 90th-minute game-winner after coming on as a second-half substitute, while also completing 2 of 2 dribbles, 7 of 10 passes and winning 5 of 7 duels.
M - Christiano Francois, Ottawa Fury FC: Francois had one goal and one assist, completed 3 of 5 dribbles and had five shots overall as Fury FC took a 3-1 victory against Loudoun United FC on Saturday night.
M - Dre Fortune, North Carolina FC: Fortune had two goals and one assist and completed 64 of 67 passes in NCFC's 5-0 victory against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC on Saturday night.
F - Kleber, Austin Bold FC: Kleber recorded two goals and one assist on two shots and one key pass while completing 37 of 47 passes overall in Bold FC's 5-1 win against Tulsa Roughnecks FC on Saturday night.
F - Thomas Enevoldsen, Sacramento Republic FC: Enevoldsen made his mark in his debut for Republic FC, scoring a pair of goals on five shots overall and completing 26 of 36 passes.
F - Christian Eissele, OKC Energy FC: Eissele scored twice, had seven shots overall and completed 25 of 28 passes as Energy FC rallied from a one-goal deficit to take a 4-2 win against the Portland Timbers 2 on Friday night.
Bench: Bobby Shuttleworth (SAC), Paddy Barrett (IND), Joe Greenspan (PIT), George Davis IV (LOU), Daniel Rios (NSH), Solomon Asante (PHX), Donovan Ewolo (NC)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 20, 2019
- Nashville SC at Heart of Music City with Whiskey Jam Takeover - Nashville SC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Enter New Era Under Craft Family Ownership - FC Tulsa
- Republic FC's Thomas Enevoldsen Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Washington Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 24 - Nashville SC
- Mustapha Dumbuya Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Phoenix Rising FC
- Francois Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Midfielder Dre Fortune Named USL Championship Player of the Week - North Carolina FC
- North Carolina's Fortune Voted Championship Player of the Week - USL
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC vs. New York Red Bulls II - Nashville SC
- New Mexico United Announces Second Player for High Performance Program - New Mexico United
- El Paso Locomotive FC Unveils Fourth Special Edition Jersey, "Noche de Locos" - El Paso Locomotive FC
- LouCity Preps for Different North Carolina Challenge - Louisville City FC
- Match Preview: #NCvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- North Carolina Football Club Partners with Reed and Feed and NCFC Youth for Food Drive
- North Carolina Football Club to Hold Virtual Ticket 'Pitch-In' Campaign for Bucy Foundation Mini-Pitch Project
- Dahlkemper, Dunn, and Williams Named to 27-Player Roster for First U.S. Women's National Team Training Camp in Seven Months
- North Carolina FC's Youth to Pro Pipeline Comes to Light as Dre Fortune Highlights 2020 NCFC Team Awards as Most Valuable Player
- North Carolina Football Club Forms Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force and Names Task Force Members