Ninth Inning Rally Makes Legends Sweat
LEXINGTON- The Asheville Tourists waited a bit too long to break out the bats on Sunday. Asheville was behind 7-1 entering the top of the ninth inning. The Tourists mounted a rally that had everyone at Whitaker Bank Ballpark on the edge of their seats. Lexington managed to barely hang on by a final score of 7-5.
Grant Lavigne knocked in two runs with a two-out single to right in the ninth inning that kept the game alive and brought the Tourists to within four. Two batters later, Johnny Cresto ripped a two-run double into the left field corner to make it 7-5. With Cresto at second and Kyle Datres at third, Javier Guevara attempted to keep the rally going but the catcher grounded out to end the game.
Over the first eight innings the Tourists had very little offense. Danny Edgeworth hit a solo Home Run in the second inning that made the score 1-0 in Asheville's favor. That was the only hit the Tourists had until Datres hit a single in the eighth.
Lexington scored in four consecutive innings to take control of the game. The Legends plated three in the fourth, one in the fifth, two more in the sixth, and added another run in the seventh. Asheville struck out a season-high 14 times in the defeat.
The Tourists will attempt to salvage a series split in the road trip finale on Monday night. The Tourists and the Legends will take the field at 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Dogs Can't Hold Late Lead, Drop Third Straight in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Need 12-Innings to Down RiverDogs - Augusta GreenJackets
- Martin Stuns Claws Twice with Sunday Walk-Off Home Runs - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Fight, Win in Extras - Columbia Fireflies
- Five-Run Second Propels Drive Past West Virginia, 8-4 - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Outslug K-Town, Clinch Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Five-Run Second Inning Dooms Power in 8-4 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Heasley Hurls Gem; Fans Career High 10 Batters in Legends Victory - Lexington Legends
- Ninth Inning Rally Makes Legends Sweat - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 19 at Rome (Game 43) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Hartlieb Makes MLB Debut with Pirates in San Diego - West Virginia Power
- Game Notes (May 19) - West Virginia Power
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Blaze Past Lakewood - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.