Fireflies Fight, Win in Extras
ROME, GA - It took 10 innings, but Columbia came away with a 9-8 win in Rome on Sunday. The Fireflies and Braves battled back and forth throughout the afternoon, trading ties and longballs several times in the process. The two teams combined for 17 runs on 24 hits on the day, against nine separate pitchers.
The game seemed all but over in the bottom of the ninth, when Rome (21-22) outfielder Trey Harris popped a ball into foul territory. However, Fireflies (16-27) catcher Hayden Senger and first baseman Chase Chambers collided, and the ball fell to the ground. One pitch later, Harris hit a game-tying home run into the trees in left. The Fireflies bounced back in extras, scoring a run in the top of the tenth, and holding the lead for the win in the bottom half.
Senger and Chambers would each hit home runs on the day, their respective firsts on the year. Rome had four separate round-trippers from their lineup during the afternoon. Fireflies outfielder Gerson Molina had a 3-4 day at the dish, including the game-winning single in the tenth inning.
Columbia righty Ezequiel Zabaleta (W, 1-0)(BS, 1) allowed the home run to Harris, but was credited with the win. Alec Kisena (S, 2) pitched the tenth, and picked up his second save of the year.
Top 1: Chase Chambers hits a two-run homer to center. Chambers and Mark Vientos score. COL 2, ROM 0
Bottom 1: Greg Cullen hits a two-run homer. Cullen and Ricardo Rodriguez score...Brendan Venter hits a sac fly to center, Trey Harris scores. ROM 3, COL 2
Top 2: Chandler Avant singles to left, Gerson Molina scores...Hansel Moreno singles, Chandler Avant scores. COL 4, ROM 3
Bottom 2: Ariel Montesino hits a solo homer to left. COL 4, ROM 4
Top 4: Hayden Senger homers to center...Mark Vientos doubles, Chandler Avant scores. COL 6, ROM 4
Bottom 5: Trey Harris ground into a double play, Ricardo Rodriguez scores. COL 6, ROM 5
Bottom 6: Brendan Venter hits a solo home run. COL 6, ROM 6
Top 8: Hayden Senger hits a sac fly to center, Gerson Molina scores. COL 7, ROM 6
Top 9: Mark Vientos flies into a sacrifice double play, Ronny Mauricio scores. COL 8, ROM 6
Bottom 9: Trey Harris hits a two-run homer to left, Harris and Greg Cullen score. COL 8, ROM 8
Top 10: Gerson Molina singles, Walter Rasquin scores. COL 9, ROM 8
Columbia concludes its series against Rome on Sunday at 1:00 ET. You can tune in to the action at FireFliesLivestream.com or on the MiLB.TV app.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Dogs Can't Hold Late Lead, Drop Third Straight in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Need 12-Innings to Down RiverDogs - Augusta GreenJackets
- Martin Stuns Claws Twice with Sunday Walk-Off Home Runs - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Fight, Win in Extras - Columbia Fireflies
- Five-Run Second Propels Drive Past West Virginia, 8-4 - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Outslug K-Town, Clinch Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Five-Run Second Inning Dooms Power in 8-4 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Heasley Hurls Gem; Fans Career High 10 Batters in Legends Victory - Lexington Legends
- Ninth Inning Rally Makes Legends Sweat - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 19 at Rome (Game 43) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Hartlieb Makes MLB Debut with Pirates in San Diego - West Virginia Power
- Game Notes (May 19) - West Virginia Power
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Blaze Past Lakewood - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta