Newcomer Ferdinand Blasts Walkoff Home Run In Debut
Welcome to York, Nick Ferdinand! The newly signed outfielder smoked a walk-off home run off of Cory VanAllen (3-1), clearing the Arch Nemesis and clinching a much needed 4-3 win for the York Revolution over the Sugar Land Skeeters on Friday night at Santander Stadium.
The Revs offense finally came to life as Brandon Boggs and Andres Perez also went deep late in the ballgame.
Anthony Lerew started for the Revolution, tossing six and two thirds innings and only allowing two earned runs, keeping the Revs in the game and allowing enough time for the offense to heat up. And heat up, did it ever.
Skeeters pitcher Josh Geer held the Revolution scoreless through six, until Brandon Boggs broke the 38-inning scoreless streak with a solo shot to right field in the seventh inning off reliever Robbie Weinhardt, breathing life into an offense that had struggled mightily as of late. That seemed to loosen things up for the club, as Andres Perez promptly smoked a two run homer to the left field gap with two outs in the eighth, putting the Revs in the lead 3-2, their first lead of the series.
Their celebration was short lived however, as Chris Wallace homered into the Apple Subaru Lawn Section off Revs closer Josh Judy, leading off the ninth inning to even the score at three apiece.
With the game looking like it was headed to extras, Ferdinand came through with the biggest hit of the evening, to send the crowd of nearly 4,500 screaming Revs fans home happy on 90's Night at Santander Stadium.
The Revs look for a four-game series split on Saturday night as York righty Matt Neil (1-2, 5.14) goes up against Sugar Land right-hander Sean Gallagher (0-4, 3.52) on Go Green Night presented by York County Solid Waste Authority. The first 1,500 fans receive a Tote Bag Giveaway and the night concludes with Post-Game Fireworks. Tickets are on sale at YorkRevolution.com, (717) 801-HITS, and in-person at the Apple Chevrolet Ticket Office.
Notes: The win is the Revs' first walk-off victory of the season and snaps a four-game skid. It marked the Revs' 11th walk-off home run all-time and first since July 14, 2013 (Andy Marte vs. Southern Maryland). Ferdinand went 3-for-4 in his debut and became the third player in Revs history to post a walk-off hit in his debut, joining Danny Sandoval (5/4/09 vs. Southern Maryland) and Val Majewski (Opening Night, 4/22/10 vs. Southern Maryland). Ferdinand becomes the seventh player in Revs history to hit a home run in his first game with the team, joining Nate Espy (2007), Luis Lopez (2007), James Shanks (2010), Adam Witter (2010), Chris Nowak (2011), and Matt Spencer (2013). York out-hit Sugar Land 10-4, with six hits over the final three innings. Stephen Penney worked a scoreless eighth, logging his 181st appearance all-time with York to tie Corey Thurman's franchise record. Judy (1-0) had previously been 7-for-7 in save opportunities, but retired the final three batters after the home run, earning the win. Bryan Pounds kept the eighth inning alive with a single ahead of Perez' go-ahead home run, and after going 1-for-4 is now batting a team-best .347 at home. The comeback is the Revs' eighth of the season, and third time they've come from behind down multiple runs. It marks their second comeback victory when trailing after six / seven innings. York improves to 6-3 in games decided in a team's final at-bat. On 90's Night at the ballpark, the walk-off home run came from Ferdinand who was born on New Year's Eve, 1989.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 5, 2015
- Bluefish Take the Doubleheader from the Bluecrabs - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Bluefish Sweep Doubleheader From Southern Maryland - Bridgeport Bluefish
- Newcomer Ferdinand Blasts Walkoff Home Run In Debut - York Revolution
- Ducks Sweep Doubleheader with Offensive Showcase - Long Island Ducks
- The Wait Is Over - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Barnstormers Blank Patriots 1-0 in 10 Innings - Somerset Patriots
- Skeeters Drop Tough One 4-3 - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Softball Marathon to be Held at Harbor Yard - Bridgeport Bluefish
- Bluefish to Hold LGBTQ Night Featuring Nbc Sports Radio Host Jason Page - Bridgeport Bluefish
- Skeeters Host Doubleheader on Saturday, June 13 - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Somerset Patriots Infielder/Outfielder Chris Marrero Signed by Chicago White Sox - Somerset Patriots
- Skeeters Hospitality Packages Available for Star Spangled Spectacular - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Ducks' Offense Overpowers Riversharks - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.