Skeeters Drop Tough One 4-3
YORK, Pa. - The Sugar Land Skeeters lost in dramatic fashion as Nick Ferdinand of the York Revolution hit a walk-off home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth for a 4-3 final score. The win bolsters York's record to 16-24 while the Skeeters drop to 18-23.
Sugar Land starter Josh Geer was dominant in his six innings of work, scattering four hits and one walk while striking out five. Over his last three starts, the former Padre has now allowed one run across 17 innings.
The Skeeters struck first in the second inning. Kevin Russo drew a one-out walk and two batters later Denny Almonte doubled him home to stake Geer with a one run lead. Sugar Land would add more with two outs in the sixth. A two-out walk to Dustin Martin came back to bite the Revs when Delwyn Young doubled to make it a 2-0 game. Young was thrown out trying to advance to third on the throw home but the damage had been done.
A two-out home run by Brandon Boggs off Robbie Weinhardt snapped the scoreless streak by Skeeters' pitchers at 24 and cut the lead in half. Back-to-back singles by Proscia and Ferdinand kept the trouble going against Weinhardt but Adrian Martin came in to end the seventh without any more damage.
Two-out runs plagued the Skeeters again in the eighth. After two quick outs, Bryan Pounds singled to keep the inning alive and Andres Perez sent a full-count pitch out of the park to make it 3-2 York.
The lead didn't last long as Chris Wallace led off the ninth for the Skeeters with a home run. The story of the night remained two-out home runs as it happened again in the ninth when Cory VanAllen retired the first two Revs before allowing the walk-off blast to Nick Ferdinand, who was making his York debut.
The full box score can be found online at http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/boxscore.html?gameid=269850
The Skeeters finish the series and road trip against York tomorrow. First pitch with the Revolution is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. (CT). Fans can listen live to all the action on the road at SugarLandSkeeters.com. Season tickets and special game plans are still available for the 2015 campaign. Sign up today by calling the box office at 281-240-4487 to join the swarm.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 5, 2015
- Bluefish Take the Doubleheader from the Bluecrabs - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Bluefish Sweep Doubleheader From Southern Maryland - Bridgeport Bluefish
- Newcomer Ferdinand Blasts Walkoff Home Run In Debut - York Revolution
- Ducks Sweep Doubleheader with Offensive Showcase - Long Island Ducks
- The Wait Is Over - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Barnstormers Blank Patriots 1-0 in 10 Innings - Somerset Patriots
- Skeeters Drop Tough One 4-3 - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Softball Marathon to be Held at Harbor Yard - Bridgeport Bluefish
- Bluefish to Hold LGBTQ Night Featuring Nbc Sports Radio Host Jason Page - Bridgeport Bluefish
- Skeeters Host Doubleheader on Saturday, June 13 - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Somerset Patriots Infielder/Outfielder Chris Marrero Signed by Chicago White Sox - Somerset Patriots
- Skeeters Hospitality Packages Available for Star Spangled Spectacular - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Ducks' Offense Overpowers Riversharks - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sugar Land Skeeters Stories
- U.S.A. Softball to Postpone Appearance at Constellation Field
- Skeeters Sign Former Major Leaguer Alexi Amarista and OF Barrett Barnes
- Skeeters Re-Sign Former Astros RHP Felipe Paulino
- Weigh-In for Pro Boxing Event to be Held on March 6 at Constellation Field
- Skeeters Re-Sign OF Wynton Bernard