New York Red Bulls Acquire Belgian International Dante Vanzeir from Royale Union Saint-Gilloise
February 3, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - New York Red Bulls News Release
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have acquired Belgian forward Dante Vanzeir from Royal Union Saint-Gilloise for an undisclosed transfer fee. Vanzeir joins the Red Bulls as a Designated Player, pending receipt of his P-1 visa and ITC, on a four-year MLS contract with an option for 2027, the club announced today.
"We are very excited to add Dante [Vanzeir] to our club," said Head of Sport Jochen Schneider. "He is a top-class professional and is highly motivated to show his skills here in the United States, we are excited to see him on the pitch at Red Bull Arena soon."
Vanzeir, 24, joins New York from Royale Union Saint-Gilloise, where he has spent the last three seasons. The Belgian forward made 92 appearances with the club, while scoring 48 goals and tallying 21 assists. In his first season with the club, Vanzeir scored 18 goals and won the Golden Boot in the Challenger Pro League, the second division in Belgian soccer. He led Royal Union Saint-Gilloise to win the league and earn promotion to the Juplier Pro League for the first time in 48 years. This season with the club, he has made 28 appearances across all competitions and has added 12 goals and two assists.
"Dante [Vanzeir] is a great human being and has goal scoring ability, we are happy to have him in New York," Head Coach Gerhard Struber said. "He is a very talented player, and he will help us accomplish our goals for the 2023 season."
The Beringen, Belgium native has spent time during his career with Beerschot V.A., KV Mechelen, and KCR Genk. While with Beerschot V.A. for the 2018-2019 season, Vanzeir made 27 appearances in the Challenger Pro League and scored 13 goals in 2,2028 minutes played. He joined Genk's youth system when he was eleven years old and joined the first team in 2016, where he made his professional debut against R.S.C. Anderlecht on September 18 of that year. Vanzeir won the Belgian Super Cup with Genk for the 2019-2020 season.
Vanzeir has represented Belgium at the all-youth levels from the U-15's to U-21's. He made 37 appearances as a Belgian youth international and scored eight goals. In November 2021, Vanzeir was named to Belgian's senior team for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualification matches against Estonia and Wales. He earned his first cap and senior national team debut on November 16 against Wales coming on as a substitute and playing 31 minutes. Former New York Red Bulls forward Thierry Henry was an assistant coach for the Belgium National Team, when Vanzeir played for the senior team.
TRANSACTION: The New York Red Bulls acquire Belgian forward Dante Vanzeir from Royale Union Saint-Gilloise as a Designated Player, pending receipt of his P-1 visa and ITC, on a four-year MLS contract with an option for 2027 on February 3, 2023.
Name: Dante Vanzeir
Born: Beringen, Belgium
Hometown: Beringen, Belgium
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 3, 2023
- Sounders FC Faces Al Ahly SC in the Second Round of the FIFA Club World Cup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF Unveils Plans for Fútbol Fiesta Event on Saturday, February 18 at DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Austin FC Adds Two Matches to 2023 Preseason Schedule Presented by St. David's Healthcare - Austin FC
- Aquino and Hawkins Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's Youth National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Three Quakes Players Called to United States U17 National Team for Concacaf U17 Championship - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Academy Goalkeeper Adam Beaudry to Compete in Concacaf Under-17 Championship - Colorado Rapids
- Charlotte FC Academy Duo Make U-17 World Cup Qualifying Squads - Charlotte FC
- LA Galaxy Academy Midfielder Paulo Rudisill Named to U.S. U-17 Men's Youth National Team for 2023 Concacaf U-17 Championship in Guatemala - LA Galaxy
- New York City Football Club Acquires Defender Braian Cufré on Loan from RCD Mallorca - New York City FC
- Dynamo Academy FW Zeke Soto Named to the U-17 U.S. Youth National Team for 2023 Concacaf Men's U-17 Championship - Houston Dynamo FC
- New York Red Bulls Acquire Belgian International Dante Vanzeir from Royale Union Saint-Gilloise - New York Red Bulls
- Mark Geiger Named as the New General Manager of PRO - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Finish Road Trip with Saturday Night Matchup against Atlanta United FC
- NJ Youth Soccer Renews Partnership with New York Red Bulls
- Red Bulls Head on Two Match Road Trip, Starting with Charlotte FC on Saturday Night
- New York Red Bulls Forward Cory Burke Named to Jamaican Men's National Team Roster for March Nation League Match
- New York Red Bulls Midfielder Cristian Cásseres, Jr. Named to Venezuela Men's National Team Roster for March Friendlies