Aquino and Hawkins Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's Youth National Team
February 3, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Seattle Sounders FC News Release
TACOMA, WASH. - Tacoma Defiance midfielder Christopher Aquino and defender Stuart Hawkins have been selected to the U.S. Under-17 Men's Youth National Team for the Concacaf U-17 Championship in Guatemala. Head Coach Gonzalo Segares' 20-man roster aims to qualify for the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Peru this fall.
Aquino, 16, has started all five of his MLS NEXT appearances this season for Seattle's U-17 squad and scored seven goals in 12 appearances last year. He was one of two players, along with Hawkins, to be named to the inaugural MLS NEXT All-Star game. Aquino was also on the squad that won the 2022 Generation Adidas Cup before signing with Defiance on December 7.
Hawkins, 16, signed with Defiance last summer and appeared in four matches (all starts) for the club in 2022, allowing just one goal in those four starts (three shutouts). Hawkins has previously played for the USMYNT at the U-16 and U-17 levels. Hawkins was named Most Valuable Player of the 2022 Generation Adidas Cup.
The Concacaf U-17 Championship takes place from February 11-26 in Guatemala and is a chance for the USMYNT to qualify for a record 18th FIFA U-17 World Cup, taking place this fall in Peru. Playing in Group F, the squad plays Barbados on February 11, Trinidad & Tobago on February 13 and Canada on February 15. The top three finishers in the four groups advance to the Round of 16 and join the four teams already qualified for the Knockout Round, with the four semifinalists qualifying for the FIFA U-17 World Cup.
Images from this story
Tacoma Defiance midfielder Christopher Aquino
Tacoma Defiance defender Stuart Hawkins
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 3, 2023
- Sounders FC Faces Al Ahly SC in the Second Round of the FIFA Club World Cup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF Unveils Plans for Fútbol Fiesta Event on Saturday, February 18 at DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Austin FC Adds Two Matches to 2023 Preseason Schedule Presented by St. David's Healthcare - Austin FC
- Aquino and Hawkins Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's Youth National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Three Quakes Players Called to United States U17 National Team for Concacaf U17 Championship - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Academy Goalkeeper Adam Beaudry to Compete in Concacaf Under-17 Championship - Colorado Rapids
- Charlotte FC Academy Duo Make U-17 World Cup Qualifying Squads - Charlotte FC
- LA Galaxy Academy Midfielder Paulo Rudisill Named to U.S. U-17 Men's Youth National Team for 2023 Concacaf U-17 Championship in Guatemala - LA Galaxy
- New York City Football Club Acquires Defender Braian Cufré on Loan from RCD Mallorca - New York City FC
- Dynamo Academy FW Zeke Soto Named to the U-17 U.S. Youth National Team for 2023 Concacaf Men's U-17 Championship - Houston Dynamo FC
- New York Red Bulls Acquire Belgian International Dante Vanzeir from Royale Union Saint-Gilloise - New York Red Bulls
- Mark Geiger Named as the New General Manager of PRO - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Jordan Morris Named MLS Player of the Matchday
- Morris Explodes for Four Goals in Seattle's 4-1 Road Win at Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC Faces Sporting Kansas City Saturday at Children's Mercy Park
- Six Sounders FC Players Report for International Duty
- Sounders FC Receives $150,000 in General Allocation Money