New York City Football Club Acquires Defender Braian Cufré on Loan from RCD Mallorca
February 3, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - New York City FC News Release
New York City Football Club can today announce that it has acquired defender Braian Cufré on loan from LaLiga side RCD Mallorca through the end of the 2023 season, pending receipt of his ITC and P1 visa. The Club also has an option to permanently acquire the player at the end of the loan period.
The Argentinean arrives to New York from RCD Mallorca after joining the side in 2020. The left-back made 39 appearances scoring one goal and providing three assists across all competitions for Los Piratas and helped the Club get promoted back to the first division of Spain. Last season, Cufré was on loan with LaLiga 2 side Málaga CF and made 27 appearances in the league and the Copa del Rey combined.
Sporting Director David Lee said: "We are delighted to welcome Braian to the Club. He is a player we have followed for a number of years and was one of the top talents in Argentina which earned him the move to Mallorca. He is a skilled and technical left back that can contribute to both the attack and defense. Braian is entering the prime of his career and we believe that he can continue his development while also making an immediate impact on our team.
"Having played in Spain and Argentina, we believe he will bring valuable experience to the Club and look forward to welcoming him into our group."
The Mar de Plata native made his professional debut with Argentinian team Club Atlético Vélez Sarsfield in 2015 after coming through from their academy. Since then, the Argentine has made 92 appearances scoring three goals and tallying six assists in all competitions including the Copa Sudamericana.
Defender Braian Cufré said: "I am excited to be joining New York City. They have shown that they are one of the tops teams in MLS and are always in the hunt for a championship. I look forward to continuing my development there and will look to use my experience abroad to help the team anyway I can.
"I want to thank everyone at the Club for giving me the opportunity to join such a wonderful club in such a great city. I can't wait to meet our fans and play in front of them this season."
Transaction: New York City Football Club acquires Defender Brian on loan from RCD Mallorca through 2023 with an option to buy.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 3, 2023
- Sounders FC Faces Al Ahly SC in the Second Round of the FIFA Club World Cup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF Unveils Plans for Fútbol Fiesta Event on Saturday, February 18 at DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Austin FC Adds Two Matches to 2023 Preseason Schedule Presented by St. David's Healthcare - Austin FC
- Aquino and Hawkins Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's Youth National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Three Quakes Players Called to United States U17 National Team for Concacaf U17 Championship - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Academy Goalkeeper Adam Beaudry to Compete in Concacaf Under-17 Championship - Colorado Rapids
- Charlotte FC Academy Duo Make U-17 World Cup Qualifying Squads - Charlotte FC
- LA Galaxy Academy Midfielder Paulo Rudisill Named to U.S. U-17 Men's Youth National Team for 2023 Concacaf U-17 Championship in Guatemala - LA Galaxy
- New York City Football Club Acquires Defender Braian Cufré on Loan from RCD Mallorca - New York City FC
- Dynamo Academy FW Zeke Soto Named to the U-17 U.S. Youth National Team for 2023 Concacaf Men's U-17 Championship - Houston Dynamo FC
- New York Red Bulls Acquire Belgian International Dante Vanzeir from Royale Union Saint-Gilloise - New York Red Bulls
- Mark Geiger Named as the New General Manager of PRO - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.