New Mexico United Announces Exhibition Game against English Premier League Team
ALBUQUERQUE, NM (May 31, 2019) New Mexico United will face off in an exhibition match with Cardiff City FC, the English Premier League (EPL) team from Wales, on July 18 at the University of New Mexico's Soccer Complex. United will be hosting Cardiff as a part of the Welsh team's USA training tour.
"This friendly match against Cardiff City FC is an amazing opportunity for the entire state of New Mexico to be placed on a global stage," said United Owner and CEO Peter Trevisani. "Our team will have the opportunity to make a strong statement to the world about who we are and about the community that propels us. Cardiff's supporters travelling for this match will have the opportunity to experience the unique atmosphere that the Land of Enchantment provides."
Hailing from Cardiff, Wales, Cardiff City FC was founded in 1899 and has a long and storied history in the United Kingdom. As a member of the EPL, their season lasts from August - May. With the 2019/2020 season right around the corner, this friendly exhibition will help them prepare to head back to England and begin their regularly scheduled matches.
"We want to continue to raise the bar for our club in every endeavor we enter into and this international friendly versus Cardiff will be another historic night for our organization. I'm excited to see our players test themselves against a club with a rich history in England's Premier League and Championship," said Head Coach Troy Lesesne.
"Football is inherent in British culture and heritage. It is part of my country's DNA. With the rich history and decoration that Cardiff City FC possess, it's a great honor to be hosting them in New Mexico this season," said British New Mexico United player Daniel Bruce. "Growing up watching the English Premier League and Championship every weekend, it's nothing short of a dream come true to have the chance to play against them."
UNM's Soccer Complex provides 7000 seats for fans to claim their spot. Current season ticket holders will have the opportunity to claim their reserved seat from June 15 to June 30. The general public will be able to purchase tickets starting on June 15. Tickets will range from $25-$45 and can be purchased in person at the team store, located at 3500 Central Ave, Suite 2 in Albuquerque's Nob Hill or by calling an account executive at 505-209-7529.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 31, 2019
- New Mexico United Announces Exhibition Game against English Premier League Team - New Mexico United
- Injury-stricken Steel fall against Red Bulls II - Philadelphia Union II
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance vs. El Paso Locomotive FC - June 1, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Forward Brian Brown Receives Second Call up of the Season from Jamaican National Team - Reno 1868 FC
- Red-Hot Memphis 901 FC Hits the Road Tomorrow to Face Regional Foe Saint Louis FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: BHMvTBR - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Sacramento Republic FC - San Antonio FC
- Tacoma Defiance Signs Defender Everardo Rubio - Tacoma Defiance
- Match Preview: RGV FC Heads to Orange County for Road Match - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- North Carolina FC Continues Road Trip in Hartford on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC V Charlotte Independence - Ottawa Fury FC
- STLFC Announces Partnership with Impact FC - Saint Louis FC
- Roughnecks Home Game Tomorrow - FC Tulsa
- Foxes Announce 2019 Youth Camps and Clinics Powered by HPA - Fresno FC
- Nashville SC's May Madness: Inside Nashvillle's Busy Spring - Nashville SC
- Energy FC Host LA Galaxy II Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Austin Bold FC Advances to 4th Round of U.S. Open Cup - Austin Bold FC
- Jamoi Topey Receives International Call-Up - Philadelphia Union II
- San Antonio FC to Host Cardiff City FC on July 13 at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: #BHMvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Athletic Announces Travelers as Founding Partner - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- On Celebratory Night, 10-Man United Earn Hard Fought Point
- New Mexico United and City of Albuquerque Announce Plan to Bring Multi-Use Stadium Bond Issue Before City Council
- New Mexico United Announces Expanded Partnership with Redw CPAs and Advisors
- United Earn First Victory against Eastern Conference Opponent, 2-1 over Charleston Battery
- Stoppage Time Goals Propel New Mexico United Past 10-Man Switchbacks