San Antonio FC to Host Cardiff City FC on July 13 at Toyota Field
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC will host Cardiff City FC in an international club exhibition match at Toyota Field on July 13 at 7:30 p.m., the club announced today. Cardiff City recently completed their 2018-19 season in the English Premier League (EPL) and will become the first current or former EPL club to play a match in San Antonio.
Tickets for the match are included in all San Antonio FC Season Ticket Membership packages, and the night will be a $1 Drink Night courtesy of Bud Light. An exclusive pre-sale window for STM's to purchase additional tickets is open now and will run through Monday June 3. Members of the SAFC Fan Club and fans who download the official San Antonio FC app also have access to an exclusive pre-sale window, starting today at noon. Tickets will then go on sale to the general public on Tuesday, June 4 at 10 a.m.
"We are delighted to host what will be an historic event for the Alamo City in July," said SAFC Managing Director Tim Holt. "Our supporters have encouraged us to bring a top overseas opponent with a storied history to Toyota Field, and we are excited to have the opportunity to test ourselves against a club as accomplished as Cardiff City FC."
Founded in 1899 and renamed Cardiff City in 1908, the Bluebirds have won the Welsh Cup 22 times, the FA Cup once, and were crowned champions of the English second division in the 2012-13 season. The team is managed by Neil Warnock who has managed 15 clubs, recording a record eight different promotions. In 2018-19, Cardiff featured internationally recognized players including Canadian Junior Hoilett and Icelandic international Aron Gunnarsson who helped the Iceland national team become the smallest nation to ever qualify for the FIFA World Cup in 2018.
Cardiff were promoted back to the Premier League after finishing second in the English Championship during the 2017-18 season. Their Premier League season came to a close this year with a 2-0 win over Manchester United at Old Trafford. The Bluebirds finished the 2018-19 Premier League season in 18th place on 34 points and were relegated back to the Championship.
The match marks the third international club exhibition game that San Antonio FC has hosted at Toyota Field after hosting Santos Laguna of Liga MX in both 2017 and 2018. SAFC tied Santos in 2017 before falling in penalty kicks prior to defeating the former Liga MX champions in 2018.
San Antonio FC is currently preparing for their road trip to Sacramento this weekend prior to returning to the Alamo City for their next home game against Reno 1868 FC on June 8, which marks Military Appreciation Night presented by Toyota. SAFC fans can purchase tickets by texting or calling the SAFC sales office at 210-444-5657 or by visiting SanAntonioFC.com. Supporters can also follow the club by liking San Antonio FC on Facebook, as well as following the team on Twitter (@SanAntonioFC) and Instagram (@sanantoniofc).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 31, 2019
- New Mexico United Announces Exhibition Game against English Premier League Team - New Mexico United
- Injury-stricken Steel fall against Red Bulls II - Philadelphia Union II
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance vs. El Paso Locomotive FC - June 1, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Forward Brian Brown Receives Second Call up of the Season from Jamaican National Team - Reno 1868 FC
- Red-Hot Memphis 901 FC Hits the Road Tomorrow to Face Regional Foe Saint Louis FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: BHMvTBR - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Sacramento Republic FC - San Antonio FC
- Tacoma Defiance Signs Defender Everardo Rubio - Tacoma Defiance
- Match Preview: RGV FC Heads to Orange County for Road Match - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- North Carolina FC Continues Road Trip in Hartford on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC V Charlotte Independence - Ottawa Fury FC
- STLFC Announces Partnership with Impact FC - Saint Louis FC
- Roughnecks Home Game Tomorrow - FC Tulsa
- Foxes Announce 2019 Youth Camps and Clinics Powered by HPA - Fresno FC
- Nashville SC's May Madness: Inside Nashvillle's Busy Spring - Nashville SC
- Energy FC Host LA Galaxy II Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Austin Bold FC Advances to 4th Round of U.S. Open Cup - Austin Bold FC
- Jamoi Topey Receives International Call-Up - Philadelphia Union II
- San Antonio FC to Host Cardiff City FC on July 13 at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: #BHMvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Athletic Announces Travelers as Founding Partner - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. RGV FC
- San Antonio FC Falls 0-2 on the Road to New Mexico United
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Earns Point After 1-1 Draw in Las Vegas
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Las Vegas Lights