Austin Bold FC Advances to 4th Round of U.S. Open Cup
Austin, TX - Austin Bold FC advances to the fourth round of the 106th edition of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup to play MLS club and last year's winner Houston Dynamo at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston, TX on June 11 at 7:00 PM CT.
Austin Bold defeated fellow USL Championship side Tulsa Roughnecks 2-0 in the second round on May 14 at Bold Stadium with goals from Sonny Guadarrama and Andre Lima. The third round of the U.S. Open Cup took place on May 29 at Bold Stadium against local Texas rivalries San Antonio FC. Lead by goals from Kleber, Guadarrama, and Lima; The Bold won 4-2 to advance to the next round.
"Since the beginning of the planning process for this franchise, the Open Cup was always an important goal for Austin Bold. The tournament and playing against an MLS team is a great opportunity for us to showcase the experienced and highly talented team that we have. We are very excited to play Houston Dynamo. Unfortunately, we are not playing at home but we look to advance and bring the next round back to Austin" said Austin Bold FC General Manager Roberto Silva.
Founded in 1914, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup is the oldest cup competition for soccer in the United States and the country's oldest annual tournament for team sports. This year a record-breaking 84 teams, from amateur to MLS, are participating to lift the prestigious trophy. The knockout tournament winners receive $300,000 in prize money and a place in the 2020 CONCACAF Champions League.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 31, 2019
- New Mexico United Announces Exhibition Game against English Premier League Team - New Mexico United
- Injury-stricken Steel fall against Red Bulls II - Philadelphia Union II
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance vs. El Paso Locomotive FC - June 1, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Forward Brian Brown Receives Second Call up of the Season from Jamaican National Team - Reno 1868 FC
- Red-Hot Memphis 901 FC Hits the Road Tomorrow to Face Regional Foe Saint Louis FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: BHMvTBR - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Sacramento Republic FC - San Antonio FC
- Tacoma Defiance Signs Defender Everardo Rubio - Tacoma Defiance
- Match Preview: RGV FC Heads to Orange County for Road Match - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- North Carolina FC Continues Road Trip in Hartford on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC V Charlotte Independence - Ottawa Fury FC
- STLFC Announces Partnership with Impact FC - Saint Louis FC
- Roughnecks Home Game Tomorrow - FC Tulsa
- Foxes Announce 2019 Youth Camps and Clinics Powered by HPA - Fresno FC
- Nashville SC's May Madness: Inside Nashvillle's Busy Spring - Nashville SC
- Energy FC Host LA Galaxy II Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Austin Bold FC Advances to 4th Round of U.S. Open Cup - Austin Bold FC
- Jamoi Topey Receives International Call-Up - Philadelphia Union II
- San Antonio FC to Host Cardiff City FC on July 13 at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: #BHMvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Athletic Announces Travelers as Founding Partner - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bold FC Stories
- Austin Bold FC Announces Six Returning Players for 2021 Season
- USL Academy League Reveals Founding South-Central Division Members
- Austin Bold FC Finishes the Season with 2-1 Victory over San Antonio FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC V San Antonio FC
- Austin Bold FC Fall 2-0 to Rio Grande Valley FC