New England Revolution Sign Midfielder Wilfrid Kaptoum
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution have signed midfielder Wilfrid Kaptoum (pronounced WILL-frid kap-TOOM). The 24-year-old Cameroonian arrives in New England after six professional seasons in Spain with FC Barcelona and Real Betis, most recently featuring on loan for UniÃ³n Deportiva AlmerÃa in Spain's Segunda DivisiÃ³n.
"Wilfrid Kaptoum is a talented central midfielder who has been developed in an excellent soccer culture. He will bring a great work ethic and experience to our team," Revolution Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena said. "Wilfrid's pace and passing ability will help strengthen our midfield. We believe he will be a quality addition to the Revolution, and we look forward to his arrival in Foxborough."
Kaptoum owns more than 100 professional appearances across all competitions with FC Barcelona, Real Betis, and UD AlmerÃa, including stints with Barcelona B and Real Betis B. The Douala, Cameroon native made three appearances with Barcelona's first team - including a start in the 2015-16 UEFA Champions League - after developing for several years in La Masia, the club's legendary academy system. He also made two appearances for Barï¿½-a en route to winning the 2015-16 Copa del Rey title, scoring his debut goal in the semifinals.
Kaptoum joined Barcelona's youth ranks in 2008 at age 12 and earned promotion to the second team in 2014. He featured extensively for Barcelona B in Spain's Segunda DivisiÃ³n B during his time with the club, scoring six goals with three assists over 46 appearances from 2014-17.
In January 2018, the midfielder signed with Spanish side Real Betis, where he made 15 appearances in La Liga. The right-footed midfielder made his first team debut with Betis on Oct. 4, 2018 in the group stage of the 2018-19 UEFA Europa League, and also featured in four Copa del Rey contests. With Real Betis B, Kaptoum played in 12 games during the 2017-18 season, and added five starts in 2018-19.
Most recently, Kaptoum was loaned to second-flight Spanish side AlmerÃa in January 2020 for the remainder of the season. He made nine appearances, with seven starts, in the Segunda DivisiÃ³n this past season.
On the international stage, Kaptoum represents his native Cameroon and has received multiple call-ups to the senior national team. He was a regular on the bench during the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations tournament, and previously featured for Cameroon's Under-20 side.
TRANSACTION: New England Revolution signed midfielder Wilfrid Kaptoum on Dec. 23, 2020.
WILFRID KAPTOUM AT A GLANCE:
- 24-year-old Cameroonian midfielder developed in FC Barcelona's academy before six-year professional career with Barcelona, Real Betis, and UD AlmerÃa.
- Has earned more than 100 professional caps including appearances La Liga, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, and Copa del Rey action.
- Joined Barcelona Academy at age 12 and made pro debut with Barcelona B in 2014.
- In 2015-16 with Barcelona, competed in the UEFA Champions League and helped lift the Copa del Rey trophy.
- Made 15 La Liga appearances with Real Betis from 2018-19.
- Represents Cameroon on international stage and was a regular in the matchday squad during the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
Full Name: Wilfrid Jaures Kaptoum
Pronunciation: WILL-frid kap-TOOM
Date of Birth: July 7, 1996 (Douala, Cameroon)
Hometown: Douala, Cameroon
Last Club: Real Betis (ESP); UD AlmerÃa (On Loan)
Previous Experience: FC Barcelona (2014-17), Real Betis (2018-20), UD AlmerÃa (2020)
How Acquired: Signed by New England on Dec. 23, 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 23, 2020
- Tajon Buchanan Called up to Canada Men's National Team - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC's Alistair Johnston Receives First Call from Canada Men's National Team - Nashville SC
- Houston Dynamo FC & Rio Grande Valley FC Restructure Affiliate Partnership - Houston Dynamo
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Free Agent Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips - Columbus Crew SC
- New York Red Bulls Acquire Third-Round SuperDraft Pick from Inter Miami CF - New York Red Bulls
- Austin FC Acquires Free Agent Goalkeeper and 2020 MLS Cup Champion Andrew Tarbell - Austin FC
- New England Revolution Sign Midfielder Wilfrid Kaptoum - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF Acquires Defender Patrick Seagrist - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Season Ticket Members to Receive Complimentary Access to RedTV International Platform - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Falls 2-1 to Tigres UANL in 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Final - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- New England Revolution and Gillette Stadium Ready to Welcome Fans for 2021 Major League Soccer Season
- Revolution Alumni Announced as Finalists for National Soccer Hall of Fame Class of 2021
- New England Revolution Launches Remote Training Team
- New England Revolution Make Two Selections in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- New England Revolution and Defender Alexander Buttner Part Ways