Nashville SC's Alistair Johnston Receives First Call from Canada Men's National Team
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Nashville Soccer Club in conjunction with Canada Soccer announced today that Defender Alistair Johnston will join the Canada Men's National Team for his first-ever international call in January 2021.
"We are so proud of Alistair's recent call-up to Canada, and glad that his country sees the same special qualities in him that Nashville Soccer Club and our fans see," said General Manager Mike Jacobs.
"The opportunity to join the top players in Canada for this camp will be a tremendous experience for him to continue his growth as a player, and we are so excited for him to be able to measure himself among his nation's elite. Alistair is very well-deserving, and we believe in him and his potential as he embraces this next opportunity," added Jacobs.
The 22-year-old defender had a groundbreaking first season in Major League Soccer after being selected with the 11th overall pick in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft. Johnston made his MLS debut coming on as a sub in the club's first ever MLS win on Aug. 12.
Since then, he established himself as a regular starter in 18 of the 21 matches he played for the Boys in Gold in 2020. Johnston and Nashville posted a goal-against average of 0.96 goals per game in the regular season, the best of any expansion club in league history.
The right back helped lead Nashville to two Audi MLS Cup Playoff victories, as they became the second expansion club to ever reach the Conference Semifinals in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs in their inaugural year. Along the way, they sealed eleven clean sheets and a 309-minute playoff shutout streak, which set a new MLS record for most minutes played without allowing a goal in MLS Playoffs' history.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 23, 2020
- Tajon Buchanan Called up to Canada Men's National Team - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC's Alistair Johnston Receives First Call from Canada Men's National Team - Nashville SC
- Houston Dynamo FC & Rio Grande Valley FC Restructure Affiliate Partnership - Houston Dynamo FC
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Free Agent Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips - Columbus Crew SC
- New York Red Bulls Acquire Third-Round SuperDraft Pick from Inter Miami CF - New York Red Bulls
- Austin FC Acquires Free Agent Goalkeeper and 2020 MLS Cup Champion Andrew Tarbell - Austin FC
- New England Revolution Sign Midfielder Wilfrid Kaptoum - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF Acquires Defender Patrick Seagrist - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Season Ticket Members to Receive Complimentary Access to RedTV International Platform - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Falls 2-1 to Tigres UANL in 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Final - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville Soccer Club Opens 2021 Major League Soccer Season with 2-2 Draw against FC Cincinnati
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Opens Its 2021 MLS Campaign against FC Cincinnati
- Come to Our Pre-Match Party Saturday at Hard Rock Café Downtown: Nashville SC
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces Partnership with Daktronics in First Nashville SC Stadium Event
- Nissan Stadium Transitions to Cashless Payment for All Future Events