NCFC Look to Continue Win-Streak against Charlotte Independence with USL Playoffs in Sight
Cary, NC - Dave Sarachan and North Carolina FC prepare to play the Charlotte Independence on Saturday night at 7 p.m. in a must-win match at Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park. NCFC must defeat the Independence to keep their USL playoff chances alive. A limited number of fans will be allowed to attend the NCFC match for the first time since March.
"Having fans will be fantastic and massive for the group," said Sarachan. "This year has been obviously very unique. To have people there, whether it's 500 or 700, it will feel like 5,000 given the perspective of what we have had. To have our home fans there with family and supporters is going to be a huge boost for our guys."
Sarachan's team defeated the New York Red Bulls II in Richmond, VA on Wednesday night, 3-0. Dre Fortune scored his sixth goal of 2020, and Ben Speas scored his first goal of the season to start the game off. Akeem Ward and Manny Perez linked up to cause an own goal right before halftime. Tambakis made four saves in the match to earn the team's first clean sheet since August 8.
The timely win was NCFC's second in a row as they look ahead to the USL playoffs. In order to clinch a spot, NCFC must defeat the Charlotte Independence and win a 16th game that is expected to be scheduled in the coming week.
"You can imagine, we are feeling good right now, but we are not cocky," said Sarachan. "It is one game at a time. There is belief and there is spirit and if you have these things within the group, you can accomplish a lot. We know that Saturday is going to be a real battle."
Player to Watch Presented by Aetna:
North Carolina FC- #17 Ben Speas
According to Sarachan, Speas has had an excellent six weeks of play and training. The veteran midfielder captained the team against New York Red Bulls II and also scored his first goal of the season. In the previous match, Speas earned an assist on Manny Perez's goal in a win against Birmingham Legion FC. The midfielder has been taking many of the team's corner and free kicks, both of which will be crucial in Saturday's match.
Charlotte Independence- #33 Brandon Miller
A key way that Charlotte can crush NCFC's playoff hopes is by not giving up any goals. Miller has only allowed NCFC to score once against the Independence this year. He has made 57 total saves, including two penalty saves. NCFC must get the ball past Miller to advance.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 1, 2020
- Reno 1868 FC to Host LA Galaxy II in First-Round Playoff Game - Reno 1868 FC
- Preview: Republic FC vs. Portland Timbers 2 - Sacramento Republic FC
- NCFC Look to Continue Win-Streak against Charlotte Independence with USL Playoffs in Sight - North Carolina FC
- All USL Players and Staff to Undergo Mandatory Training Through Partnership with Institute for Sport and Social Justice - USL
- Three Takeaways from #TACvSAC - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Antonio FC First-Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - San Antonio FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Philadelphia Union II - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Reno Clinches Group A, Silver State Cup with Draw against Las Vegas - Reno 1868 FC
- SD Loyal Forfeits Match After Homophobic Slur Is Used by Phoenix Rising FC Player - San Diego Loyal
- SRFC's unbeaten run comes to an end - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks FC Play to Scoreless Draw in Final Game at Weidner Field - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- LA Galaxy II Clinch Spot in USL Championship Playoffs - LA Galaxy II
- Austin Bold FC Fall 2-0 to Rio Grande Valley FC - Austin Bold FC
- Toros Earn First Win of the 2020 Season against the Bold - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- El Paso Locomotive FC Earn Point on the Road against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- FC Tulsa Stages Dramatic Comeback to Claim Wrench over OKC Energy FC - FC Tulsa
- Battery Fall in Miami 4-3 - Charleston Battery
- Real Monarchs Fall 1-0 to New Mexico United in Penultimate Match of 2020 - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- NCFC Falls Short in Road Battle against Reigning League One Champs
- Match Preview: North Carolina FC to Face Greenville Triumph SC on the Road this Wednesday
- North Carolina FC Comes up Short in Stoppage Time vs. Fort Lauderdale CF
- Match Preview: North Carolina FC to Face Fort Lauderdale CF this Saturday at Home
- Carson Pickett and Debinha Named to NWSL May Team of the Month