Toros Earn First Win of the 2020 Season against the Bold
EDINBURG, Texas - After three weeks of no soccer action, Rio Grande Valley FC (1-9-3) defeated Austin Bold FC (4-4-7) on Wednesday night, 2-0. H-E-B Park welcomed 700+ fans for the first time since the home opener back in March.
RGV FC earned the first win of the 2020 season while also earning the first win against Austin Bold.
The Toros opened the scoring tab when in the 41st minute Isidro Martinez sent a long pass into the box following a set piece. He connected with Kyle Edwards where he headed the ball to the back of the net earning the lead for RGV, 1-0.
During stoppage time of the second half, RGV FC secured the win after a penalty kick was conceded in the 90+8th minute, leaving Diego Restrepo behind and away from Austin's goal. Jonathan Jimenez was fouled on which caused a penalty that Juan Carlos Obregon Jr. converted by sending it to the top corner of the goal, 2-0.
In the 15th minute, Obregon Jr. sent a left footed shot from outside of the box, but Restrepo saved the attempt. Austin immediately attacked when Alasanne Ates Diouf sent a shot from the left side of the box, but Kyle Ihn deflected it.
Juan Carlos Azocar threatened Austin after sending a right footed shot to the center of the goal but Restrepo deflected it out to a corner kick. During stoppage time, Robert Coronado sent a long shot that went out wide. The Bold threatened the goal for Toros after Ema Twumasi hit the crossbar sending the ball out of threat.
Austin Bold struck early on in the second half after Billy Forbes sent a left footed shot but missed to the left. He struck again three minutes later from outside the box, but the shot was blocked.
Martinez created a dangerous opportunity for the Toros in the 56th minute after he sent a shot to goal and Restrepo managed to let go of the ball allowing Obregon Jr. to recover and send the ball to Edwards. Edwards then sent a left footed shot from the center of the box but was blocked sending the ball to Restrepo.
Azocar made his debut tonight while Kyle Adams made his 60th appearance, 58th start with the Toros.
Overall, RGV FC totaled 10 shots, five on target while being able to win 55.3% of the duels faced. Austin totaled 20 shots, two on target while winning 44.7% of the duels.
Obregon Jr. led the offensive side with four total shots, two on target while creating one opportunity which led to a goal. Edwards totaled three shots, one on target while also creating one opportunity.
Adams totaled eight clearances along with three blocks and one interception. Coronado totaled four tackles, four clearances and three interceptions tonight.
RGV FC return to H-E-B Park in front of a home crowd on Saturday, October 3 as they host OKC Energy FC. Kickoff is set at 8 p.m. CST. Matchup will be broadcasted live nationally on ESPN+ and Somos El Valle 5.2. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com.
Rio Grande Valley FC (1-9-3; 6 pts.) 2-0 Austin Bold FC (4-4-7; 19 pts.)
USL Championship 2020 Season - Match 13
Wednesday - H-E-B Park - Edinburg, Texas
TEAM 1H 2H FT
Rio Grande Valley FC 1 1 2
Austin Bold FC 0 0 0
RGVFC: Kyle Edwards (I. Martinez) 41
RGVFC: Juan C. Obregon Jr. (PK) 90+8
LINEUPS & STATISTICS
RGV FC: Kyle Ihn, Carter Manley, Kyle Adams, Robert Coronado, James Murphy, Ian Hoffmann, Isidro Martinez, Juan C. Obregon Jr., Kyle Edwards (Jonathan Jimenez 80), Juan C. Azocar (Victor Garza 61), Kembo Kibato,
Unused substitutes: Paul Blanchette, Diego Rocha, Emile Legault, Deshane Beckford, Christian Lucatero.
Total Shots: 10 Shots on Goal: 5 Fouls Committed: 11 Offside: 4 Corner Kicks: 4 Saves: 2
ATX: Diego Restrepo, Jermaine Taylor, Amobi Okugo, Josue Soto (Ismaila Jome 65), Jorge Troncoso (Sean McFarlane 58), Je-Vaughn Watson (Fabien Garcia 65), Omar Ciss, Ema Twumasi, Sonny Guadarrama (Aldo Quintanilla 59), Billy Forbes (Robert Avila 76), Alasanne Ates Diouf.
Unused substitutes: Vincent Tasca, Cristian Ortiz.
Total Shots: 20 Shots on Goal: 2 Fouls Committed: 23 Offside: 1 Corner Kicks: 8 Saves: 3
RGVFC: Ian Hoffmann (caution; foul) 36
ATX: Je-Vaughn Watson (caution; foul) 40
ATX: Jermaine Taylor (caution; foul) 49
ATX: Alasanne Ates Diouf (caution; foul) 72
RGVFC: Victor Garza (caution; dissent) 96
Referee: Gerald Flores
Assistant Referee 1: Ricardo Ocampo
Assistant Referee 2: Jacobo Zuniga
Fourth Official: Carmelo Alvarez Jr.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 1, 2020
- Reno 1868 FC to Host LA Galaxy II in First-Round Playoff Game - Reno 1868 FC
- Preview: Republic FC vs. Portland Timbers 2 - Sacramento Republic FC
- NCFC Look to Continue Win-Streak against Charlotte Independence with USL Playoffs in Sight - North Carolina FC
- All USL Players and Staff to Undergo Mandatory Training Through Partnership with Institute for Sport and Social Justice - USL
- Three Takeaways from #TACvSAC - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Antonio FC First-Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - San Antonio FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Philadelphia Union II - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Reno Clinches Group A, Silver State Cup with Draw against Las Vegas - Reno 1868 FC
- SD Loyal Forfeits Match After Homophobic Slur Is Used by Phoenix Rising FC Player - San Diego Loyal
- SRFC's unbeaten run comes to an end - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks FC Play to Scoreless Draw in Final Game at Weidner Field - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- LA Galaxy II Clinch Spot in USL Championship Playoffs - LA Galaxy II
- Austin Bold FC Fall 2-0 to Rio Grande Valley FC - Austin Bold FC
- Toros Earn First Win of the 2020 Season against the Bold - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- El Paso Locomotive FC Earn Point on the Road against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- FC Tulsa Stages Dramatic Comeback to Claim Wrench over OKC Energy FC - FC Tulsa
- Battery Fall in Miami 4-3 - Charleston Battery
- Real Monarchs Fall 1-0 to New Mexico United in Penultimate Match of 2020 - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.