FC Tulsa Stages Dramatic Comeback to Claim Wrench over OKC Energy FC
TULSA - Wrench: Clinched. Magic Number: One.
Two dramatic goals from little-used substitute Toby Uzo in the final 10 minutes turned a one-goal deficit into a 3-2 FC Tulsa victory over OKC Energy FC on Wednesday night at ONEOK Field.
Not only did the comeback win secure the Wrench for FC Tulsa over their cross-state rival, it brought FC Tulsa onto the doorstep of the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs. FC Tulsa's win, combined with Austin Bold FC surprising 2-0 loss over previously winless Rio Grande Valley FC, means FC Tulsa can snag the second playoff spot with a win or draw in Saturday's home finale.
The sides traded goals early as OKC Energy FC opened the scoring in the 12' minute through a breakaway goal before FC Tulsa equalized in the 15' minute off the head of winger Marlon. OKC grabbed its lead back 57' minute off an electric 20-yard goal from Tucker Stephenson that bounced off the far post and into the net.
In the 77' minute water break, the match turned on its head when Tulsa head coach Michael Nsien brought on two subs - Cristhian Altamirano and Toby Uzo.
The pair made an immediate impact as Altamirano found Uzo in the 79' minute on a cross that Uzo redirected into the net. Less than 10 minutes later, the subs linked up again as Altamirano picked out Uzo at the top of the box. The powerful forward headed it home in the 88' minute to give FC Tulsa its second consecutive dramatic home win.
12' OKC - Cordell Cato (Rafael Garcia)
15' TUL - Marlon (Matt Sheldon)
57' OKC - Tucker Stephenson (Jose Hernandez)
79' TUL - Toby Uzo (Cristhian Altamirano)
88' TUL - Toby Uzo (Cristhian Altamirano)
MAGIC NUMBER DOWN TO ONE
FC Tulsa's three points combined with Austin Bold FC's loss means Tulsa's playoff magic number sits at one. One point in either its regular season finale at home on Saturday against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC or its if necessary match against Rio Grande Valley FC.
SIX-MATCH UNBEATEN STREAK
When FC Tulsa has needed points, it has delivered. The club is riding a six-match unbeaten streak, consisting of three wins and three draws, with 12 points earned. It matches the longest winning streak in club history after Tulsa opened the 2020 season with six consecutive results.
UZO COMES THROUGH
Going into the match, Toby Uzo had played just 86 minutes in 2020 in six substitute appearances. He had totaled just four shots and had yet to make the scoresheet. That all changed in the final 12 minutes of the match as he scored twice to give FC Tulsa the win. He scored five goals with the Tulsa Roughnecks in 2019, including a goal that won the USL Championship's Goal of the Year.
THE WRENCH COMES TO TULSA
After winning the Wrench just once in its 5-year rivalry with OKC Energy as the Tulsa Roughnecks, FC Tulsa claimed it on its first try in the new era. The Wrench was painted gold as the Tulsa players raised the trophy.
FC Tulsa's has one more home match, on Saturday night at ONEOK Field against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC at 7 p.m. CT. An FC Tulsa win or draw would clinch a playoff spot. If FC Tulsa were to lose on Saturday, they would play a rescheduled road match next week at Rio Grande Valley FC where a result would clinch a playoff spot.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 1, 2020
- Reno 1868 FC to Host LA Galaxy II in First-Round Playoff Game - Reno 1868 FC
- Preview: Republic FC vs. Portland Timbers 2 - Sacramento Republic FC
- NCFC Look to Continue Win-Streak against Charlotte Independence with USL Playoffs in Sight - North Carolina FC
- All USL Players and Staff to Undergo Mandatory Training Through Partnership with Institute for Sport and Social Justice - USL
- Three Takeaways from #TACvSAC - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Antonio FC First-Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - San Antonio FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Philadelphia Union II - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Reno Clinches Group A, Silver State Cup with Draw against Las Vegas - Reno 1868 FC
- SD Loyal Forfeits Match After Homophobic Slur Is Used by Phoenix Rising FC Player - San Diego Loyal
- SRFC's unbeaten run comes to an end - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks FC Play to Scoreless Draw in Final Game at Weidner Field - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- LA Galaxy II Clinch Spot in USL Championship Playoffs - LA Galaxy II
- Austin Bold FC Fall 2-0 to Rio Grande Valley FC - Austin Bold FC
- Toros Earn First Win of the 2020 Season against the Bold - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- El Paso Locomotive FC Earn Point on the Road against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- FC Tulsa Stages Dramatic Comeback to Claim Wrench over OKC Energy FC - FC Tulsa
- Battery Fall in Miami 4-3 - Charleston Battery
- Real Monarchs Fall 1-0 to New Mexico United in Penultimate Match of 2020 - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Tulsa Stories
- FC Tulsa Re-Signs Star Striker Dario Suarez
- FC Tulsa Signs Forward Joaquin Rivas from Saint Louis FC
- FC Tulsa's Toby Uzo Wins 2020 USL Championship Goal of the Year
- FC Tulsa Re-Signs Keeper Sean Lewis on Multiyear Contract
- FC Tulsa Signs Head Coach Michael Nsien to Multiyear Contract Extension