SD Loyal Forfeits Match After Homophobic Slur Is Used by Phoenix Rising FC Player
San Diego - San Diego Loyal SC (SD Loyal) ended its inaugural season with a forfeit.
Players, coaches and staff took a knee at the start of the second half of a match against visiting Phoenix Rising FC and then walked off the pitch protesting the use of a homophobic slur.
Collin Martin, who the slur was directed towards, walked up the ramp at Torero Stadium Wednesday night with teammates rallying around him, each sharing an embrace as they made their way to the locker room. The incident happened moments prior to halftime of SD Loyal's regular season finale as the team was vying for a post season berth.
SD Loyal forfeited the match in support of Martin and the diversity that the club stands for within its community. The forfeit comes after SD Loyal also opted to forfeit a point after a 1-1 draw against LA Galaxy II in its previous match. SD Loyal's Elijah Martin was the victim of a racial slur by a LA Galaxy II player in the second half of that Group B match. SD Loyal decided to lose the point in support of Martin and its stance against racism.
Walking off the pitch Wednesday night was a similar statement but this time against homophobia.
SD Loyal led 3-1 with goals by Miguel Berry (2nd minute) and a pair by Rubio Rubin (20th and 45+) when the homophobic slur was used. Players and both team coaches reportedly heard the slur but the match referees did nothing about it. Instead, Martin was shown a red card that later was rescinded. Flemmings reportedly used the homophobic slur as Phoenix Rising FC pushed up field with counter attacks after Samuel Stanton had scored for the visitors a minute earlier.
SD Loyal came into the match fighting for second place and for the final post season spot in the group. A win against Phoenix Rising FC Wednesday night would have put Landon Donovan's team in a strong post for a playoff berth, pending the results that would happen Saturday night.
Instead, SD Loyal finishes its first season in the USL Championship with consecutive forfeits, making a strong message that it will not stand for such behavior.
More details to come regarding the situation.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 1, 2020
- Reno 1868 FC to Host LA Galaxy II in First-Round Playoff Game - Reno 1868 FC
- Preview: Republic FC vs. Portland Timbers 2 - Sacramento Republic FC
- NCFC Look to Continue Win-Streak against Charlotte Independence with USL Playoffs in Sight - North Carolina FC
- All USL Players and Staff to Undergo Mandatory Training Through Partnership with Institute for Sport and Social Justice - USL
- Three Takeaways from #TACvSAC - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Antonio FC First-Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - San Antonio FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Philadelphia Union II - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Reno Clinches Group A, Silver State Cup with Draw against Las Vegas - Reno 1868 FC
- SD Loyal Forfeits Match After Homophobic Slur Is Used by Phoenix Rising FC Player - San Diego Loyal
- SRFC's unbeaten run comes to an end - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks FC Play to Scoreless Draw in Final Game at Weidner Field - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- LA Galaxy II Clinch Spot in USL Championship Playoffs - LA Galaxy II
- Austin Bold FC Fall 2-0 to Rio Grande Valley FC - Austin Bold FC
- Toros Earn First Win of the 2020 Season against the Bold - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- El Paso Locomotive FC Earn Point on the Road against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- FC Tulsa Stages Dramatic Comeback to Claim Wrench over OKC Energy FC - FC Tulsa
- Battery Fall in Miami 4-3 - Charleston Battery
- Real Monarchs Fall 1-0 to New Mexico United in Penultimate Match of 2020 - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Loyal Stories
- Alejandro Guido Is USL Championship Player of the Week
- Second Home Match, Second Home Win for SD Loyal
- SD Loyal Set for Second Home Match of the Season
- SD Loyal to Host Club Tijuana Xolos in International Friendly
- Tumi Moshobane Scores in SD Loyal Draw against Orange County SC