SRFC's unbeaten run comes to an end
TACOMA, Washington (September 30, 2020)- Republic FC's 10-game undefeated streak came to a close on Wednesday night following a 1-0 loss against Tacoma Defiance at Cheney Stadium with four players developed in the club's youth system earning valuable minutes in the match.
The double-digit unbeaten run ties the second-longest in club history with a 10-game stretch without a loss that occurred during the club's inaugural campaign in 2014. The result on Wednesday night also locks in the squad's Group A position and will result in a first-round road playoff match against the Group B top seed.
The midweek clash between Group A opponents was headlined by Rafael Jauregui being named to the starting lineup. At the age of 15 years, nine months and ten days, Rafa becomes the youngest player to start for the boys in Old Glory Red in club history. The midfielder logged 62 minutes and finished the night tied with the most scoring chances created on the team with two - alongside Jaime Villarreal and Frank Lopez.
Joining the youngster in the SRFC midfield was another member of the Republic FC Academy system - Julian Chavez. The midweek match was JuJu's first career start with the Indomitable Club, and he ended the evening completing 11 of 14 passes and three total crosses.
Julian Chavez earned his first career start for the Indomitable Club.
Frank Lopez also made his debut to the starting eleven and the striker managed to fire off three shots on the night - tied for the most on team along with RoRo and Cameron Iwasa. On top of creating a pair of scoring opportunities against Defiance, Frankie forced the Tacoma goalkeeper into one of his three saves.
In net for Mark Briggs' men was Brady Scott - making his second career start for Sacramento and coming up with one stop in Sacramento's fourth and final regular season bout with Tacoma.
In the 71st minute, Tacoma took a 1-0 lead when Danny Reynolds set up Alec Diaz for the game's lone goal.
The fourth SRFC player to have developed his skills in the club's youth academy and grace the pitch during Wednesday's match was Mario Penagos as the midfielder entered the contest in the 84th minute for Cameron Iwasa.
Striker Frank Lopez made his first career Republic FC start on Wednesday.
The postseason-bound boys in Old Glory Red return home for the regular season finale against Portland Timbers 2 this Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. PT at Papa Murphy's Park.
Sacramento Republic FC 0-1 Tacoma Defiance
Cheney Stadium, Tacoma, Washington
September 30, 2020
Scoring Summary:TAC - Alec Diaz (Danny Reynolds) 71'.
Misconduct Summary:SAC - Julian Chavez (caution) 42', Mario Penagos (caution) 90'; TAC - Taylor Mueller (caution) 66', Alec Diaz (caution) 90'.
Sacramento Republic FC - Brady Scott; Shannon Gomez, Matt Mahoney, Hayden Sargis, Ashkanov Apollon (Tomas Hilliard-Arce 84'), Rodrigo Lopez ©, Cameron Iwasa (Mario Penagos 84'), Jaime Villarreal (Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu 62'), Rafael Jauregui (Sam Werner 62'), Julian Chavez (Villyan Bijev 62'), Frank Lopez.
Unused substitutes: Rafael Diaz.
Stats- Shots: 12, Shots on Goal: 3, Saves: 1, Fouls: 20, Corner Kicks: 6, Offsides: 3.
Tacoma Defiance- Eric Klenofsky; Alex Villanueava (Danny Reynolds 68'), Taylor Mueller ©, Antonee Burke-Gilroy, Abdoulaye Cissoko; Sota Kitahara, Chris Hegardt, Ethan Dobbelaere (Alec Diaz 59'), Ray Serrano, Daniel Robles (Jesus Perez 83'), Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez (Aziel Gonzalez 68').
Unused substitutes: Conrad Lee, Josh Hardin, Reed Baker-Whiting.
Stats- Shots: 8, Shots on Goal: 2, Saves: 3, Fouls: 10, Corner Kicks: 6, Offsides: 1.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 1, 2020
- Reno 1868 FC to Host LA Galaxy II in First-Round Playoff Game - Reno 1868 FC
- Preview: Republic FC vs. Portland Timbers 2 - Sacramento Republic FC
- NCFC Look to Continue Win-Streak against Charlotte Independence with USL Playoffs in Sight - North Carolina FC
- All USL Players and Staff to Undergo Mandatory Training Through Partnership with Institute for Sport and Social Justice - USL
- Three Takeaways from #TACvSAC - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Antonio FC First-Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - San Antonio FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Philadelphia Union II - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Reno Clinches Group A, Silver State Cup with Draw against Las Vegas - Reno 1868 FC
- SD Loyal Forfeits Match After Homophobic Slur Is Used by Phoenix Rising FC Player - San Diego Loyal
- SRFC's unbeaten run comes to an end - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks FC Play to Scoreless Draw in Final Game at Weidner Field - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- LA Galaxy II Clinch Spot in USL Championship Playoffs - LA Galaxy II
- Austin Bold FC Fall 2-0 to Rio Grande Valley FC - Austin Bold FC
- Toros Earn First Win of the 2020 Season against the Bold - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- El Paso Locomotive FC Earn Point on the Road against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- FC Tulsa Stages Dramatic Comeback to Claim Wrench over OKC Energy FC - FC Tulsa
- Battery Fall in Miami 4-3 - Charleston Battery
- Real Monarchs Fall 1-0 to New Mexico United in Penultimate Match of 2020 - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Returning for 2021: Wheeler-Omiunu Bringing Some Bite to SRFC Midfield
- Around the Leagues: Holiday Weekend Showcasing Great Slate of Soccer
- Returning for 2021: Villarreal Patrols, Protects Central Pitch
- Team Store Website to Help with Holiday Gift Needs
- Returning for 2021: Diaz's Calming Presence Anchors the Defense