Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (42-45) at Iowa Cubs (31-57)
Game #89: Nashville Sounds (42-45) at Iowa Cubs (31-57)
Pitching Matchup: LHP Eric Jokisch (2-8, 4.62) vs. RHP Alec Mills (4-8, 4.69)
First Pitch: 7:08 CST
Radio: ALT 97.5 FM
TV: MiLB TV
From the Notes
Second Half Sounds: In recent years, Nashville has been a second half team. Since 2010, the Sounds have had a losing record after the All-Star break just once. That came in 2015 when they went 25-28. Their best second half performance since 2010 came in 2016 when they went 34-17 en route to a playoff berth. Since 2010, Nashville's overall second-half record is 221-185.
All-Star Performances: The Sounds had three players named to the Pacific Coast League All-Star team - outfielder/first baseman Nick Martini, and pitchers James Naile and Bobby Wahl. Martini was recalled by Oakland and missed the All-Star Game. Naile pitched the fifth inning and allowed three runs on four hits while striking out one batter. Bobby Wahl pitched to one batter in the ninth inning and retired Durham's Justin Williams on a groundout. groundout. The PCL defeated the International League for the second straight season, 12-7.
Vs. Iowa: The four-day, five-game series marks the final time the Sounds and Cubs will meet in 2018. Despite hitting just .226 (78-for-345) as a team, Nashville leads the 16-game season series, seven games to four. Nashville pitchers have held Iowa hitters to a .212 (78-for-368) batting average. Four current Sounds are hitting over .300 against Iowa, including Brett Vertigan (.455, 5-for-11), Ramon Laureano (.412, 7-for-17), BJ Boyd (.364, 8-for-22) and Steve Lombardozzi (.308, 8-for-26).
We are the North: The Sounds have a winning record against one division in the Pacific Coast League - the American Northern. In 46 games against Iowa (7-4), Colorado Springs (5-6), Oklahoma City (7-5) and Omaha (6-6), the Sounds are 25-21. Beginning tonight, Nashville plays their next 12 games against the American Northern Division.
What's the word around Nashville?
The Midday 180 (@Midday180)
Use #180Sounds if you want to join us in our suite at the @nashvillesounds game Tuesday night.
The #Athletics have reinstated RHP Trevor Cahill from the 10-day disabled list, and have optioned RHP Chris Bassitt to Triple-A Nashville.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Redbirds Blast Past Chasers 6-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Open Second Half with 6-3 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa's Comeback Falls Short - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Hold off Cubs to Open Second Half - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Offense Doesn't Take Break - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Open Second Half with 8-4 Win over Dodgers - Round Rock Express
- Errors Prove Costly in 'Cakes 3-2 Setback - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- World's Biggest Taco Event Returns to Fresno, July 19-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Bees Ready for Post All-Star Push - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (42-45) at Iowa Cubs (31-57) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 12, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes 7.12.18 at ELP - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (56-34) at Omaha Storm Chasers (40-48) - Memphis Redbirds
- Schwindel, Oaks Shine in Triple-A All-Star Game - Omaha Storm Chasers
- River Cats Host Bees for Four Games Beginning Tonight at Raley Field - Sacramento River Cats
- Storm Chasers Series Highlights: July 12-15 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds Reveal New Logos, Marks and Uniforms
- Sounds' Community Relations Manager Destiny Whitmore Awarded Women in Baseball Leadership Event Scholarship
- Sounds to Host "Remastered" Release Party and Texas Rangers Winter Caravan on November 15 at First Tennessee Park
- Nashville Named Best Minor League Baseball Town in America in 2018
- Sounds and Texas Rangers Announce Four-Year Player Development Contract