Reno Aces Game Notes 7.12.18 at ELP
Today's Game: The Aces come off the All-Star break in third places in the Pacific Northern Division with a record of 42-48 to take on the Pacific Southern leading El Paso Chihuahuas. Socrates Brito and Ildemaro Vargas join the team after a 12-7 Pacific Coast League victory at the Triple-A All-Star Game. Brito went 1-for-5 with an infield single in the first inning and Vargas came off the bench going 1-for-2 with an RBI double. Jake Buchanan will get the start today in search of his sixth win of the season.
Last Game: In Sunday's matinee series finale, the Aces won by a score of 8-2. Reno recorded eight runs on 13 hits and were led offensively by Anthony Recker who went 3-for-4 and was a home run short of the cycle. Starting pitcher Alex Young was lights out and went 6.0 innings, allowing one run on seven hits. The win improves the Aces to a record of 42-48 on the season going into the All-Star break.
All-Star Showing: Last night, in the Pacific Coast League All-Star Game, Ildemaro Vargas and Socrates Brito represented the Biggest Little City on the national stage. Vargas had an RBI double and Brito showed off his speed in the first with an infield single. The Pacific Coast League defeated the International League, 12-7, marking their second consecutive All-Star game win in a row. Rockies prospect Josh Fuentes and the Rays' Kean Wong took home BUSH'S All-Star MVP honors for their respective leagues. Scott Heineman of Round Rock recorded four stolen bases, more than any other player in the all-time history (since 1988) of the Triple-A Baseball All-Star Game. It only took him one game to accomplish that feat.
Cron(ing): Kevin Cron heads into the second half of the season 3rd in the PCL in RBI with 65. His first game of the season was May 4! Since that date, he leads all of professional baseball (MLB / MiLB) in RBI by 7. Next closest - MLB All-Star Jesus Aguilar with 58. On the year, Cron is batting .319 (69-for-216) with 14 doubles and 16 home runs.
Then & Now: Coming off the All-Star break last year the Aces were five games up in the Pacific Northern Division with a record of 54-36. Southpaw Eric Jokisch had seven wins and Jimmie Sherfy had recorded 12 saves. This year, Reno finds themselves in third place (42-48). Taylor Clarke leads the team with eight wins in 17 starts and Sherfy again leads the Aces in saves with 10.
Against the Dogs: Reno enters this four-game series vs. El Paso with a 6-6 record this season. Taylor Clarke and Joey Krehbiel are both 2-0 on the mound and Anthony Recker is batting .389 in seven games (7-for-18). Ildemaro Vargas leads the Aces in hits against the Chihuahuas with 15 while Socrates Brito (13), Cody Decker (10) and Jack Reinheimer (10) are also in double digits.
Mr. Decker: Cody Decker returns to El Paso as a fan-favorite. Decker played 254 games with the Chihuahuas from 2014 to 2015 and hit 48 home runs for the Texas club. Cody is so beloved in El Paso that the front office held Cody Decker Bobblehead Night on June 15, 2016 for the first 2,000 fans through the gates. Ironically, Decker was traded to the Rockies in April of 2016 and assigned to Albuquerque. The Isotopes played the Chihuahuas on June 15th.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Redbirds Blast Past Chasers 6-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Open Second Half with 6-3 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa's Comeback Falls Short - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Hold off Cubs to Open Second Half - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Offense Doesn't Take Break - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Open Second Half with 8-4 Win over Dodgers - Round Rock Express
- Errors Prove Costly in 'Cakes 3-2 Setback - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- World's Biggest Taco Event Returns to Fresno, July 19-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Bees Ready for Post All-Star Push - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (42-45) at Iowa Cubs (31-57) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 12, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes 7.12.18 at ELP - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (56-34) at Omaha Storm Chasers (40-48) - Memphis Redbirds
- Schwindel, Oaks Shine in Triple-A All-Star Game - Omaha Storm Chasers
- River Cats Host Bees for Four Games Beginning Tonight at Raley Field - Sacramento River Cats
- Storm Chasers Series Highlights: July 12-15 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- Aces, Greater Nevada Field to Host World Series Watch Party
- Aces Program at Greater Nevada Field Raises More Than $61,000
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Slaughter House Halloween Attraction
- Reno Aces, Vegas Desert Sports Partner to Host Golden Knights Watch Parties in Northern Nevada
- Greater Nevada Field, Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe Brings Teton Gravity Research Winter Film to Northern Nevada