Nashville SC Adds Defender David Romney to 2020 Major League Soccer Roster Via Trade with LA Galaxy
NASHVILLE - Nashville Soccer Club continues to build out its 2020 Major League Soccer roster with the acquisition of defender David Romney from the LA Galaxy in exchange for $225,000 in General Allocation Money. The Galaxy will receive an additional $50,000 in General Allocation Money if Romney meets certain performance-based metrics. Romney is the second player to join the club during the MLS two-day trade window alongside veteran midfielder Dax McCarty whose signing was announced earlier today.
"Dave's combination of athleticism and decision-making on both sides of the ball, coupled with being naturally left-sided, made him someone that we appreciated very early on in this process," said Nashville SC GM Mike Jacobs. "We believe that he is someone that could really flourish in our system with both a consistent role and a regular run of games."
The 26-year-old defender brings four years of MLS experience to Nashville as he has spent the entirety of his MLS career with the Galaxy from 2015-2019. Romney became the first LA Galaxy II player to sign an MLS contract with the first team on Aug. 5, 2015. Since then, he has been a mainstay on the Galaxy's backline, totaling 132 appearances across all competitions over the years.
"I'm incredibly excited to be involved in Nashville SC's inaugural MLS season," said Romney. "It's such a unique experience. You are at the ground floor of shaping what the club's legacy will be for years to come. It's something I've always been intrigued about doing and I couldn't be happier that it's in an amazing city with such a passionate fanbase."
As a versatile and left-footed defender, Romney has played in every position along the Galaxy's backline. He is also known as an athletic and aerial player on both ends of the field, providing three goals and six assists during his MLS career.
The Irvine, Calif. native made his international debut with the U.S. U23 Men's National Team on Nov. 15, 2015, taking the field in a friendly against Brazil.
Romney becomes the ninth player signed to Nashville SC's inaugural MLS roster, joining Daniel RÃos, Cameron Lancaster, David Accam, Derrick Jones, AnÃbal Godoy, Hany Mukhtar, Randall Leal and Dax McCarty.
Join Nashville SC in its inaugural season in MLS by becoming a Season Ticket Member here or by calling a club representative at 615-750-8800.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 12, 2019
- Inter Miami Academy to Compete in 2019 International Champions Cup Futures Tournament - Inter Miami
- Inter Miami CF Acquires Homegrown Player Rights for Goalkeeper Drake Callender from the San Jose Earthquakes - Inter Miami
- Washington Spirit Extends Partnership with D.C. United and Loudoun United FC to Host Four Matches at Audi Field in Addition to Four Games at Segra Field in 2020 - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Acquire SuperDraft Selection in Trade with Inter Miami CF - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Acquire General Allocation Money in Trade with Nashville Soccer Club - LA Galaxy
- Nashville SC Adds Defender David Romney to 2020 Major League Soccer Roster Via Trade with LA Galaxy - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Acquires Veteran Midfielder and Leader Dax McCarty in Trade with Chicago Fire - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire Receives $100,000 in Allocation Money from Nashville SC - Chicago Fire
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC's Randall Leal Called up for International Duty
- Nashville SC Single Game Tickets on Sale Now to General Public
- Pre-Sale Now Available for Nashville SC 2020 Single Game Tickets
- Nashville SC Unveils First Major League Soccer Jersey
- Know Before You Go: Kit Reveal Party Presented by Renasant Bank