Inter Miami CF Acquires Homegrown Player Rights for Goalkeeper Drake Callender from the San Jose Earthquakes
Inter Miami CF announced today it has acquired the Homegrown Player Rights for goalkeeper Drake Callender from the San Jose Earthquakes in exchange for the first pick in the second round of the 2020 MLS SuperDraft (No. 27 overall).
In addition, San Jose can receive up to $150,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) if Callender meets certain performance-based metrics.
"Drake is a driven, young goalkeeper who impressed at the collegiate level both on and off the pitch," said Inter Miami CF Sporting Director Paul McDonough. "We are pleased to trade for his Homegrown Rights and will explore him coming to South Florida sometime in the future."
The 22-year-old currently plays NCAA Division I soccer at the University of California, Berkeley. He has played at the school for four years, making 52 appearances and keeping 15 clean sheets. The goalkeeper made a career-high nine saves on two separate occasions, once as a freshman against Oregon State University and once as a sophomore against the University of Portland.
Callender was named to the United Soccer Coaches NCAA All-Far West Region First Team and the All-Pac-12 First Team for the 2017 season. For the 2018 season, he was named to the preseason MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List and earned United Soccer Coaches NCAA All-Far West Region Third Team and All-Pac-12 Second Team honors.
The 6-foot-3 goalkeeper was invited to the U.S. U-23 Men's National Team training camp in September. The training camp is part of the U.S.'s campaign to qualify for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.
Callender joined the San Jose Earthquakes Academy in 2013 and remained with the team through the 2015-2016 season.
Inter Miami, formally known as Club â¯Internacional â¯de â¯FÃºtbol â¯Miami, will make its MLS debut in March 2020. The team will play at its new Fort Lauderdale Stadium until â¯theâ¯ Miami stadium is complete. For more information on how to secure season tickets, visitâ¯ intermiamicf.com/ticketsâ¯ or call an Inter Miami sales representative at 305-428-0611.â¯
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 12, 2019
- Inter Miami Academy to Compete in 2019 International Champions Cup Futures Tournament - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF Acquires Homegrown Player Rights for Goalkeeper Drake Callender from the San Jose Earthquakes - Inter Miami CF
- Washington Spirit Extends Partnership with D.C. United and Loudoun United FC to Host Four Matches at Audi Field in Addition to Four Games at Segra Field in 2020 - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Acquire SuperDraft Selection in Trade with Inter Miami CF - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Acquire General Allocation Money in Trade with Nashville Soccer Club - LA Galaxy
- Nashville SC Adds Defender David Romney to 2020 Major League Soccer Roster Via Trade with LA Galaxy - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Acquires Veteran Midfielder and Leader Dax McCarty in Trade with Chicago Fire - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire Receives $100,000 in Allocation Money from Nashville SC - Chicago Fire
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF, Mourning Family Foundation and Captain Morgan Launch Meal Distribution Event in Overtown
- Pizarro Defeats Sporting Kansas City's Pulido in Inter Miami's Fourth eFriendly
- Director of Player Development Darren Powell Provides Updates on Inter Miami CF Academy
- Ben Sweat: Inter Miami "Getting a Lot of Positivity and Good EnergyÃ¢ÂÂ
- Challenge Accepted: MLS Standouts Pizarro, Pulido in Next Inter Miami CF eFriendly vs. Sporting Kansas City