Nashville SC Acquires Veteran Midfielder and Leader Dax McCarty in Trade with Chicago Fire
NASHVILLE - Nashville Soccer Club has added yet another Major League Soccer veteran and leader to its inaugural MLS roster.
The club announced today it has acquired midfielder Dax McCarty from the Chicago Fire in exchange for $50,000 in General Allocation Money, $50,000 in Targeted Allocation Money and a second-round pick (28th overall) in the 2021 Major League Soccer SuperDraft. McCarty becomes the first player to sign with Nashville SC during the MLS two-day trade window, which closes on Wednesday night at 7 p.m.
"Dax is a proven leader and winner and has done so in every club he's been in throughout his career. He embodies the character and values of what our club will be on and off the field," said Nashville SC GM Mike Jacobs.
"I couldn't be more excited to be joining Nashville SC for the club's inaugural MLS season and beyond," said McCarty. "The buzz around the club is easy to feel and see. The opportunity and challenge of building something special from the beginning will be a unique experience that I feel privileged to be a part of. I can't wait to get to Nashville and start preparing for the 2020 season."
McCarty, who started his senior career with FC Dallas in 2006 as the sixth overall pick in the MLS SuperDraft, sits 10th all-time in the league with 361 regular season appearances (331 as a starter). His experience over the course of his 13-year career is split between FC Dallas (2006-10), D.C. United (2011), New York Red Bulls (2011-16) and most recently the Chicago Fire (2017-19) has made him a recognizable leader and mentor on and off the pitch.
He also joins some familiar faces in Nashville, having played with Nashville midfielder David Accam in Chicago during the 2017 season.
On the pitch, McCarty is a two-way central midfielder who is constantly on the ball and able to dictate play offensively and defensively. He has established himself among the league leaders at his position in touches, pass attempts and recoveries per game, scoring 20 goals and assisting in 58 more during MLS regular season play.
McCarty is a two-time Supporters' Shield winner while with the New York Red Bulls in 2013 and 2015, an MLS Best-XI player (2015) and a two-time MLS All-Star (2015, 2017).
Internationally, McCarty has represented the United States at multiple levels. McCarty's first full international cap with the U.S. Men's National Team came on Nov. 14, 2009 in a friendly match against Slovakia. He has since been capped 13 times and won the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup trophy.
Prior to that, he received his first call-up to the U.S. U-20 Men's National Team ahead of the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup. He then continued with his international development by representing the U.S. U-23 Men's National Team in the 2008 CONCACAF Men's Pre-Olympic Tournament, where he was voted to the "2008 Best XI" as a midfielder by the CONCACAF Technical Study Group.
McCarty becomes the eighth player signed to Nashville SC's inaugural MLS roster, joining Daniel RÃos, Cameron Lancaster, David Accam, Derrick Jones, AnÃbal Godoy, Hany Mukhtar and Randall Leal.
Join Nashville SC in its inaugural season in MLS by becoming a Season Ticket Member by calling a club representative at 615-750-8800.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 12, 2019
- Inter Miami Academy to Compete in 2019 International Champions Cup Futures Tournament - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF Acquires Homegrown Player Rights for Goalkeeper Drake Callender from the San Jose Earthquakes - Inter Miami CF
- Washington Spirit Extends Partnership with D.C. United and Loudoun United FC to Host Four Matches at Audi Field in Addition to Four Games at Segra Field in 2020 - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Acquire SuperDraft Selection in Trade with Inter Miami CF - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Acquire General Allocation Money in Trade with Nashville Soccer Club - LA Galaxy
- Nashville SC Adds Defender David Romney to 2020 Major League Soccer Roster Via Trade with LA Galaxy - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Acquires Veteran Midfielder and Leader Dax McCarty in Trade with Chicago Fire - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire Receives $100,000 in Allocation Money from Nashville SC - Chicago Fire FC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC Takes Three Points on the Road and Solidifies Second Place in Eastern Conference
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Continues Road Swing against Inter Miami CFÃÂ
- Nashville SC Remains Second in the Eastern ConferenceÃÂ
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Returns to Canada to Face Toronto FCÃÂ
- Nashville Soccer Club Youth Academy Set to Begin Inaugural Season