Munson Leads Beavers over Redbirds with Three-Run Homer
PORTLAND, Ore. - Eric Munson hit a three-run home run and Luis Durango had two hits, including an RBI single as the Portland Beavers took the third game of a four-game set against the Memphis Redbirds 5-3 at AutoZone Park on Thursday night.
Chris Denorfia hit his ninth double of the season and scored a run for the Beavers (14-20).
Starting pitcher Cesar Carrillo (3-2) got the win for the Beavers, pitching six innings and giving up three runs on six hits.
Adam Ottavino (2-3) took the loss for Memphis (16-17). He struck out seven Beavers but gave up four runs on six hits, including Munson's home run.
Mark Hamilton homered and James Rapoport hit an RBI single in the loss for the Redbirds.
Portland opened the scoring when Craig Stansberry scored on Durango's single in the third inning.
Denorfia led off the next inning with a double and later scored on an Ottavino wild pitch to put the Beavers up 2-0.
Hamilton tied the game for the Redbirds on a two-run home run to right field in the bottom of the fifth. Later in the inning, Donovan Solano scored on Rapoport's single to give Memphis its only lead of the game.
The Beavers retook the lead in the sixth when Durango and Denorfia led off the inning with hits and Munson launched a three-run shot to right field.
Beavers closer Ernesto Frieri earned the save for Portland, striking out the side in the ninth.
The Beavers finish their series against the Redbirds in Memphis at AutoZone Park on Friday at 5:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Memphis and Portland entered the game tied for last in the PCL with 18 home runs each ... Munson's five home runs lead the Beavers this season ... Hamilton's home run was the first given up by Carrillo this season ... with the win, Carrillo picked up consecutive victories for the first time since winning six consecutive outings June 21-July 19, 2009, while pitching for Class AA San Antonio.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 13, 2010
- Three Straight: Express Buzz past Bees, 5-4 - Round Rock Express
- Beavers Rally by 'Birds - Memphis Redbirds
- Munson Leads Beavers over Redbirds with Three-Run Homer - Portland Beavers
- Z's Comeback Halted in Ninth as Fresno Defeats New Orleans 6-5 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Capuano Tosses Eight Scoreless Innings, Sounds Win 8-0 - Nashville Sounds
- Olympic Softball Champion Jennie Finch Will Appear at Security Service Field on Monday, May 17 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Cricket Wireless Family Packs on Sale Now - Portland Beavers
- Trey Hillman Dismissed as Manager - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sky Sox Lose Despite Early Lead, 7-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Aces Ballpark to Host NIAA State Championships - Reno Aces
- San Jose Earthquakes to Face Chivas USA in Sacramento Cup - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees to Hold Fourth Annual Breast Cancer Awareness Night - Salt Lake Bees
- Wood Thrown Right into the Fire by KC - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Kansas City Royals Transfer Mertins To Omaha - PCL
- Navarro Powers Express Past Salt Lake - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss