Moyers Carves up Hickory in 1-0 Power Win
CHARLESTON, W. Va. - Steven Moyers registered a career-high 8.1 scoreless innings and 10 strikeouts as West Virginia blanked Hickory, 1-0, Tuesday night at Appalachian Power Park.
Moyers (7-4) began his outing by surrendering three hits through the first two frames, but kept the Crawdads (10-3, 51-28) off the board despite Hickory loading the bases in the second. In the bottom of the third, the Power (6-7, 43-40) notched base knocks from Jake Anchia and Mike Salvatore to lead off the inning and put runners at the corners for Charlie McConnell. McConnell grounded out to second, allowing Anchia to score from third and hand West Virginia a 1-0 lead.
Each starter conceded a base hit in the fourth inning before settling down. Moyers rattled off a streak of 12 straight hitters retired from the end of the fourth into the eighth inning, while reaching his new career-high in strikeouts to cap the seventh. For the 'Dads, Tyree Thompson (3-4) put away nine straight Power hitters before Anchia doubled off the right-field wall with two outs in the seventh inning. The next batter, Salvatore, laced a line drive to third, but was robbed of extra bases when Sherten Apostel speared it to end the threat.
Moyers gave up a one-out walk in the eighth inning, but worked through the next two batters to solidify eight scoreless frames and walked back out to the mound to start the ninth. The lefty secured the first out of the inning on a first pitch groundout, tying Clay Chandler for the longest outing of the season. However, Tyreque Reed then singled to left to bring Moyers' stellar outing to a close.
Benjamin Onyshko (S,1) faced just one batter out of the bullpen, as he closed the game on a 6-4-3 double play with just two pitches and cemented the 1-0 West Virginia win.
The Power now has five 1-0 wins this season, the most in any season in Power history (2005-present). Moyers recorded his seventh consecutive quality start and his 12th of the season, tying Dario Agrazal (2016) for the most quality starts by a West Virginia hurler in team history.
The Power concludes their three-game series against the Hickory Crawdads Wednesday evening at Appalachian Power Park, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. RHP Josias De Los Santos (0-5, 5.36 ERA) heads to the hill for West Virginia, while Hickory goes with righty Tim Brennan (7-2, 3.33 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
Independence Day comes a day early at Appalachian Power Park, as the Power celebrates on July 3rd against the Hickory Crawdads! Cap off your Independence Day celebration with some postgame fireworks, presented by AARP Salute to Service! Gates open at 6 p.m. For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 2, 2019
- Langrage Homers Again in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Big Innings Lead to Suns Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Series Now Even After Tourists Drop a Close One - Asheville Tourists
- RiverDogs Trounced by GreenJackets in Game Two - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Erupt Early, Get Even with 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bryce Bush Plays Hero in 5-4 Comeback Win - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Jackets Jump All over Charleston for 10-0 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Rally But Fall Short in 8-4 Defeat on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Moyers Carves up Hickory in 1-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 2 vs. Greenville (Game 79) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (July 2) - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Takes Opener 1-0 over Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.