Series Now Even After Tourists Drop a Close One
ASHEVILLE - Tonight the Asheville Tourist fell to the Lexington Legends with a final score of 6-4. The series is now even at one game apiece.
Daniel Montano made it around the bases after reaching on an error in the bottom of the first inning. He scored on Willie MacIver's RBI groundout to give Asheville an early 1-0 lead.
Asheville's starting pitcher, Alfredo Garcia, began the night strong by not allowing a run in the top of the first inning. However, for the next few innings he struggled sealing the deal, giving up a two-run homer to Jose Caraballo in the top of the second with two outs. Lexington added another run off Garcia in the third when Eric Cole lifted a two-out RBI single to centerfield that plated Brhet Bewley.
The Tourists loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the fourth inning but were held to only one run in the frame. Coco Montes hit a sacrifice fly that brought Terrin Vavra in from third. A pair of outs on the base-paths ended the threat.
The two teams then traded a couple of runs in the fifth inning. Lexington used a two-run single by Cole to take a 5-2 advantage but Asheville closed the gap with an RBI double from LeeMarcus Boyd and a run-scoring single by Montano. The Legends added an insurance run in the sixth on back-to-back hits to begin the inning.
Asheville's bullpen was solid the rest of the way. Boby Johnson, Jacob Bosiokovic, and PJ Poulin combined to toss the final four innings for the Tourists. The Legends bullpen was equally as dominant and they only needed one pitcher to finish the job. Asheville native Bryce Hensley quieted his former hometown team with four shutout innings which earned Hensley his first save of the season.
Both teams are back in action for the series finale on Wednesday night. The rubber-match, which begins at 7:05pm, will be followed by a post-game Independence Day Fireworks Extravaganza.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 2, 2019
- Langrage Homers Again in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Big Innings Lead to Suns Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Series Now Even After Tourists Drop a Close One - Asheville Tourists
- RiverDogs Trounced by GreenJackets in Game Two - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Erupt Early, Get Even with 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bryce Bush Plays Hero in 5-4 Comeback Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Jump All over Charleston for 10-0 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Rally But Fall Short in 8-4 Defeat on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Moyers Carves up Hickory in 1-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 2 vs. Greenville (Game 79) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (July 2) - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Takes Opener 1-0 over Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.