Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 2 vs. Greenville (Game 79)
Please note the following New York Mets minor league transactions:
- OF Hansel Moreno transferred from Columbia to advanced-A St. Lucie
- OF Zach Rheams transferred to Columbia from short-season A Brooklyn
Columbia Fireflies (6-6, 30-48) vs. Greenville Drive (5-7, 37-45)
RHP Christian James (2-6, 4.31) vs. RHP Kevin Biondic (2-0, 2.80)
Tues., July 2, 2019 - Segra Park (Columbia, SC) - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 79
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Columbia notched a total team win on Monday against Greenville. Jose Butto overpowered Drive hitters, the defense was spectacular (and didn't commit an error) and five of the Fireflies' six runs were scored with two outs en route to a 6-0 victory. It was the third shut-out win of the year for Columbia and the second in three days. Butto logged a career-high 6.2 innings and now owns a 2.04 ERA over his last six starts.
BACK, BACK, BACK: Wagner Lagrange homered in the win on Monday, his first since bashing a grand slam against Charleston on May 28.
DE-FENSE!: Columbia has not commit an error in three straight games (June 29-July 1). This is the third time that's happened in 2019: May 14-16 @ Augusta and April 13-15 @ Lexington (4/13 & 4/14) and @ Rome. The Fireflies have not gone four straight games without an error yet this year.
FLIP THE CALENDAR: Columbia finished the month of June with a 9-14 mark. The club hit .238, its best average for any month this season. Three Fireflies impressed at the plate in June:
- H. Senger - team-best .345 average, 5 straight multi-hit games: 6/22-6/26
- R. Mauricio - .295 average in 20 games, team-best 26 hits
- M. Vientos - led the team with 15 RBIs in June (20 GP), .263 average
MAURICIO MAGIC: Among current and qualified South Atlantic League hitters, Ronny Mauricio is third in the league with 83 hits and ninth with a .284 average. The South Atlantic League All-Star is hitting .308 (33-for-107) in 24 games since May 28, which is fourth-best in the SAL among qualified hitters.
SECOND-HALF SLUGGERS: Best batting averages in the second half:
1. Hayden Senger - .444 (16-for-36), 10 GP, 4 R, 7 2B, 2 HR, 9 RBI, 3 BB, 4 K
2. Wagner Lagrange - .333 (14-for-42), 11 GP, 7 R, 3 2B, 1 HR, 11 RBI
3. Brian Sharp - .333 (11-for-33) 10 GP, 7 R, 1 3B, 1 HR, 3 RBI
WHAT A WEEK: The last week proved to be quite a busy one for the Fireflies:
- Mon., June 24 @ Lexington - Columbia erases four-run deficit in the top of the ninth inning to come back and beat the Legends, 8-6. It tied the most prolific ninth-inning comeback in franchise history (7/10/17 @ Charleston, W 5-4).
- Fri., June 28 vs. Hickory - Thomas Szapucki and Tylor Megill carry a no-hitter into the ninth inning against the Crawdads before allowing a hit with one out in the ninth. It's the second one-hit shutout in franchise history.
- Sat. and Sun., June 29-30 - The Fireflies retired and honored the numbers of the legendary Hall of Famers Jackie Robinson, Larry Doby and Frank Robinson as part of Negro League celebration weekend.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 2, 2019
- Langrage Homers Again in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Big Innings Lead to Suns Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Series Now Even After Tourists Drop a Close One - Asheville Tourists
- RiverDogs Trounced by GreenJackets in Game Two - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Erupt Early, Get Even with 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bryce Bush Plays Hero in 5-4 Comeback Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Jump All over Charleston for 10-0 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Rally But Fall Short in 8-4 Defeat on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Moyers Carves up Hickory in 1-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 2 vs. Greenville (Game 79) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (July 2) - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Takes Opener 1-0 over Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.