Claws Rally But Fall Short in 8-4 Defeat on Tuesday
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Delmarva used a six-run third inning to pull away from the BlueClaws en route to an 8-4 win over Lakewood on Tuesday.
Trailing 8-0, the BlueClaws scored four times in the ninth inning including home runs by Cole Stobbe and Ben Pelletier, but Matt De La Rosa got Luis Garcia to line out to first base to end it.
The Shorebirds (10-3/58-24) have now won 11 of 13 against the BlueClaws (4-9/33-50) this season.
Delmarva sent 10 men to the plate in their six-run third inning. After they loaded the bases without a hit, Edison Lantigua singled home the first two runs of the game. Jaylen Ferguson then doubled in two more. Ben Breazeale and Ryne Ogren then added two more RBI doubles to give the Shorebirds a 6-0 lead.
Lakewood starter James McArthur (0-6) was charged with six runs over 2.1 innings and took the loss.
Delmarva starter Ofelky Peralta, who earned his sixth win (6-2), threw six scoreless innings and has thrown 11 shutout innings over his last two starts, both against th eBlueClaws.
The Shorebirds added two runs in the sixth on an RBI double from Robert Neustrom and an RBI single from Cadyn Grenier.
BlueClaws right-hander Kevin Gowdy threw three scoreless innings in relief.
In the ninth, Stobbe homered before a two-run shot by Pelletier. Each hit their eighth of the season. Rafael Marchan, who had three hits, singled in a run to cut the lead to 8-4. All four runs were charged to Matt Hammonds before De La Rosa got Garcia to line out to end the game.
Marchan did not start the game, but went 3-4 after coming on for Abrahan Gutierrez in the third inning.
The teams finish their series on Wednesday night at 7:05 pm. LHP Manuel Silva (1-2) starts for Lakewood opposite LHP Ryan Wilson (3-2).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 2, 2019
- Langrage Homers Again in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Big Innings Lead to Suns Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Series Now Even After Tourists Drop a Close One - Asheville Tourists
- RiverDogs Trounced by GreenJackets in Game Two - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Erupt Early, Get Even with 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bryce Bush Plays Hero in 5-4 Comeback Win - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Jackets Jump All over Charleston for 10-0 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Rally But Fall Short in 8-4 Defeat on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Moyers Carves up Hickory in 1-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 2 vs. Greenville (Game 79) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (July 2) - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Takes Opener 1-0 over Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.