Bryce Bush Plays Hero in 5-4 Comeback Win
KANNAPOLIS, N.C. - The Kannapolis Intimidators (36-45, 8-5) battled from behind all of Tuesday Night against the Rome Braves (7-6, 37-45) and it all came to fruition with a Bryce Bush walk-off double to capture the 5-4 win.
Jason Bilous didn't quite get off to the start that he would have hoped. Rome tallied three hits and drew two walks in the top of the first that was capped off by a Jeremy Fernandez single to score Greg Cullen and Braden Shewmake to extend their lead to 3-0. Bilous threw 43 pitches in the frame and was relieved after that one inning by Kevin Folman.
In the top of the second, Rome added on to their lead after a double from Cullen that scored Jose Bermudez and made things 4-0.
In the bottom of the third, the 19-year-old Bryce Bush put Kannapolis on the board. With two-outs on a 1-2 count, Bush hit a double to left-center that scored Ian Dawkins and Alex Destino to cut Rome's lead to 4-2.
With one out in the bottom of the fourth, Corey Zangari hit his second home run (7) in his last three games, this one a solo shot over left field to cut the deficit to 4-3.
A Gunnar Troutwine line drive down the right field line in the bottom of the sixth that would have scored Zangari was nullified by a diving catch from Bermudez. After making the catch, Mermudez doubled up Zangari at second base to end the threat.
After having to dip into their bullpen in just the second inning, Folman gave the Intimidators five solid innings of work, giving up no earned runs on three hits and tallying four strikeouts. Wilber Perez (W, 2-1) would take the mound following him.
Romy Gonzalez led off the bottom of the eighth inning with a double, but the Intimidators were unable to get him across.
However, in the bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded and a full count, Bryce Bush doubled down the third base line to score Dawkins and Sosa and give the Intimidators the 5-4 win.
Kannapolis will look for the three-game sweep Wednesday Night against Rome with Johan Dominguez (4-3, 2.36 ERA) getting the nod for the Intimidators at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 2, 2019
- Langrage Homers Again in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Big Innings Lead to Suns Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Series Now Even After Tourists Drop a Close One - Asheville Tourists
- RiverDogs Trounced by GreenJackets in Game Two - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Erupt Early, Get Even with 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bryce Bush Plays Hero in 5-4 Comeback Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Jump All over Charleston for 10-0 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Rally But Fall Short in 8-4 Defeat on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Moyers Carves up Hickory in 1-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 2 vs. Greenville (Game 79) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (July 2) - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Takes Opener 1-0 over Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.