More Late Runs Doom AirHogs to Sweep
FARGO, N.D. - The Grand Prairie AirHogs were held to three runs despite nine hits in the first five innings on Sunday, while the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks battled back from 1-0 and 3-2 deficits - and held the AirHogs to one baserunner on an error in the last four innings - to sweep the AirHogs 6-3 at Newman Outdoor Field, breaking a three-way tie with the AirHogs and Wichita Wingnuts for the longest winning streak in the American Association this season at 12.
But as has been the case in each game of the series, the AirHogs (37-18) scored first, getting singles from Chris McMurray and Trent Lockwood to start the second, before groundouts by Zane Chavez and David Thomas put Grand Prairie in front.
John Brownell (7-2) faced one over the minimum in the first three innings, helped by two double plays, but gave up a single and a double to start the fourth, allowing the RedHawks (33-21) to tie the game. After a popout, walk and flyout put runners at the corners, Marcos Rodriguez blooped one to shallow left for an RBI single to give Fargo-Moorhead the lead.
The AirHogs quickly recovered the advantage in the fifth, with Brian Myrow singling and Andres Rodriguez lining his 10th home run of the year just over the leftfield wall.
That was all Grand Prairie would get, as Alex Caldera (7-1) allowed a walk with two outs in that inning and then retired the final seven batters he faced to complete seven innings.
Meanwhile, the RedHawks tied the game in the fifth. With one out, Zach Penprase singled, and although the AirHogs pitched out when Penprase broke for second, Yasutsugu Nishimoto could not field the throw cleanly enough to make the tag at second and Penprase would score on Buddy Sosnoskie's triple to left-center.
Brownell got around an error in the sixth, but could not get out of the seventh unscathed. Carlo Cota doubled to start the frame, and after Ryan Stovall grounded out, Penprase lined a single into center to put the RedHawks on top for good. Sosnoskie greeted lefty Ronnie Morales with a bunt single, and after a popup and a walk, lefty Jon Gaston lined a two-run single to center to give Fargo-Moorhead some insurance.
The RedHawks relievers did the rest, with Kevin Fuqua striking out the side around an error in the eighth and Tom Boleska striking out two in a 1-2-3 ninth to pick up his league-leading 16th save of the season.
Notes: Penprase finished the series 9-for-16, Cota went 8-for-15, Ryan Delgado went 8-for-19, Rodriguez went 7-for-18 and Sosnoskie went 8-for-19 as Fargo-Moorhead scored 43 runs on 58 hits in the four-game sweep...The AirHogs have lost a season-series to an opponent for the first time this year, although the two teams will play three more times in Grand Prairie in August...This is the AirHogs' first four-game losing streak of the season...Rodriguez and Myrow led the Airhogs in the series with a combined 12 hits in 31 at bats with six RBIs...The AirHogs went 0-for-7 Sunday with runners in scoring position and left nine on base.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs conclude their road trip with a three-game series in St. Paul against the Saints, starting Monday, July 16, at 7:05 p.m. The next home game at QuikTrip Park is on Friday, June 20, at 7:05 against the Kansas City T-Bones, with Coors Light Jerseys off our Backs Night, where all fans will have a chance to win the AirHogs' specialty jerseys right off their backs. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 15, 2012
- Lemurs to Host a Thirsty Tuesday - Laredo Lemurs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lowey Dominant as Wingnuts Beat Lemurs - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sanchez Homer Powers X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Lemurs Bats Continue to be Silent - Laredo Lemurs
- Pheasants Stumble in Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Mackey Marvelous, 'Dogs Pull Away Late to Take Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Diablos Settle For Series Split As Saltdogs Take Finale - El Paso Diablos
- Fish Fall out of First Place - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Sheldon Shines, Sets Franchise RBI Record as Saints Win 6-3 - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Shutout Tornadoes for Third Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RedHawks Sweep AirHogs with a 6-3 Victory, Win League-Best 12th Straight Game - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- More Late Runs Doom AirHogs to Sweep - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sioux City Pitching Douses Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs