Monumental Night for the Rush
Denver - The Denver Cutthroats hosted the Rapid City Rush for the second night in the two-game series on Saturday, December 21 at the Denver Coliseum. The Rush defeated the Cutthroats 6-5 to earn the outright record for most consecutive road wins in CHL history.
The game started off quick with a goal from Winston Day Chief who picked up a loose puck from behind the net and scored unassisted to give the Rush a 1-0 lead. On the power play less than two minutes later, with a pass from Garett Bembridge at the circle, Daniel Barczuk (Bembridge, Troy Schwab) fired a shot past Rapid City's Tim Boron to tie the score 1-1. Denver's Garett Bembridge was able to sound the siren on a 3-on-1 breakaway to give the Cutthroats the lead. Rapid City retaliated with a goal from Jesse Schultz (Day Chief) to once again tie the score and end the first period 2-2.
In the second period of play, Rapid City's Scott Brannon (Sean Erickson, Austin Mayer) scored on Denver's Kent Patterson to give the Rush a 3-2 lead. Denver's Troy Schawb (Bembridge, Barczuk) returned the favor to even the score at 3 and set the stage for an exciting third period.
It appeared to be deja vu when Rapid City's Winston Day Chief scored off a loose puck from behind the net to give the Rush the lead 4-3. Shortly after, Konrad Reeder (Day Chief, Erickson) pushed the Rush lead to 5-3. Aaron MacKenzie (T.J. Fox) started the Cutthroats comeback while playing 4-on-4. On the same 4-on-4, Matt Glasser (Nick Schneider, Fox) tied the game at 5. Jesse Schultz (Erickson, Day Chief) scored the game-winning goal for the Rush to give them the 6-5 victory and seize the CHL road victory record.
The Denver Cutthroats will head to Prescott, Arizona to face the Arizona Sundogs for a three-game set on Friday, December 27, Saturday, December 28 and Tuesday, December 31. The Cutthroats will head to the mountains for the team's inaugural Colorado Tour to host a series of home games in Aspen and Vail this January.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 21, 2013
- Home-And-Home with Mallards Starts as Defensive Battle - St. Charles Chill
- Monumental Night for the Rush - Denver Cutthroats
- Rapid City Wins CHL Record 11th Straight on Road - CHL
- Heemskerk Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspensions - CHL
- Americans Look for Weekend Sweep against Brampton - Allen Americans
- Thunder Tripped by Sundogs 5-4 - Wichita Thunder
- Arizona Beats Wichita 5-4 - Arizona Sundogs
- Rush Tie League Record in Shootout Win - Denver Cutthroats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster