Montero scores early as 'Caps defeat rivals for their second straight win
VANCOUVER, BC - Fredy Montero's early goal was the difference at BC Place on Friday evening as Vancouver Whitecaps FC defeated rivals Portland Timbers 1-0 in a Cascadia derby match.
DOWNLOAD: Postmatch interviews with Dos Santos, Crepeau, MonteroWith their second straight win, the 'Caps improve to 3W-5L-3D and momentarily jump above the playoff line ahead of the league's weekend slate, while putting a halt to Portland's three-match winning streak.
The goal gives Montero six against Timbers in his MLS career, and three on the season. On the other end of the pitch, goalkeeper Maxime Crépeau made five saves in net for his third clean sheet of 2019.
The 'Caps scored the eventual winner in the 10th minute when Inbeom Hwang carved a through ball forward to penetrate the Portland half. Russell Teibert played the ball through a thicket of Timbers defenders and to Montero, who found the net in consecutive matches for the 1-0 lead.
Vancouver was strong with their possession, and showed discipline in keeping their shape compact on defence. The frontline stood strong in front of the Vancouver net, with Doneil Henry and Érik Godoy thwarting Portland when the visitors threatened. Crépeau made a number of highlight-worthy stops, include back-to-back saves on a pair of headers from Timbers centre backs Bill Tuiloma and Larrys Mabiala in the first half, and when he shut the door on Diego Valeri from close range in the 72nd minute.
The 'Caps pushed to pad the advantage in the second half, with Lucas Venuto and Ali Adnan breaking loose on a counterattack, but Montero's goal would be enough for the full three points on the evening.
Whitecaps FC look to keep rolling when they host defending MLS Cup champions Atlanta United FC on Wednesday, May 15. Kickoff at BC Place is at 7 p.m. PT live on TSN and TSN Radio 1040. Visit whitecapsfc.com for ticket information.
WFC Man of the Match: Maxime Crépeau
Referee: Allen Chapman
9' - VAN - Fredy Montero (Russell Teibert)
Possession: VAN 48.4% - POR 51.6%
Shots: VAN 12 - POR 27
Shots on Goal: VAN 3 - POR 5
Saves: VAN 5 - POR 3
Fouls: VAN 4 - POR 13
Offsides: VAN 0 - POR 0
Corners: VAN 5 - POR 12
Duels won: VAN 46 - POR 46
Tackles won: VAN 6 - POR 10
28' - POR - Sebastián Blanco
48' - POR - Cristhian Paredes
61' - VAN - Érik Godoy
90' - POR - Diego Chara
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16.Maxime Crépeau; 28.Jake Nerwinski, 22.Érik Godoy, 2.Doneil Henry, 53.Ali Adnan; 4.Inbeom Hwang (15.Andy Rose 65'), 6.Jon Erice ©, 31.Russell Teibert; 7.Lucas Venuto, 12.Fredy Montero (9.Joaquín Ardaiz 87'), 19.Lass Bangoura (46.Brett Levis 76')
Substitutes not used
18.Zac MacMath, 8.Felipe Martins, 13.Derek Cornelius, 23.Scott Sutter
12.Steve Clark; 2.Jorge Moreira (26.Lucas Melano 83'), 33.Larrys Mabiala, 25.Bill Tuiloma, 16.Zarek Valentin (18.Julio Cascante 83'); 14.Andrés Flores (11.Andy Polo 73'), 22.Cristhian Paredes, 21.Diego Chara, 10.Sebastián Blanco; 8.Diego Valeri ©, 17.Jeremy Ebobisse
Substitutes not used
1.Jeff Attinella, 4.Jorge Villafaña, 19.Tomás Conechny, 40.Renzo Zambrano
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 11, 2019
- Loons Fall 2-0 to Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Dynamo Fall 1-0 at Seattle - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Postgame Notes - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Defeats Minnesota United FC 2-0 - Chicago Fire
- Early Goals Propel Revolution to 3-1 Win over San Jose Earthquakes - New England Revolution
- Vako scores first goal of season; Quakes snap four-match unbeaten streak - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Outlasts Colorado in 3-2 Road Win - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Routs Columbus Crew SC 3-0 on Saturday Evening - Los Angeles FC
- Union win on the road in Toronto for the first time since 2014 - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, NYCFC 2 - Saturday, May 11, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Falls to the New York Red Bulls, 3-1, at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Red Bulls Earn Road Win in Dallas - New York Red Bulls
- Impact Suffers 2-1 Loss to FC Cincinnati - Montreal Impact
- Timbers Fall 1-0 on the Road to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Portland Timbers
- Montero scores early as 'Caps defeat rivals for their second straight win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- All Whitecaps FC Matches During MLS Is Back Tournament to Feature Online 50/50
- Whitecaps FC Announce Sleeve Sponsors for MLS Is Back Tournament
- Whitecaps FC Announce Formation of Safe Sport Advisory Board
- Watch It Live Presented by Phillips Brewing & Malting Co.
- Whitecaps FC Announce Roster Updates for MLS Is Back Tournament