Monsters Prevail over Griffins with 3-2 Victory
GRAND RAPIDS, MI - The Cleveland Monsters beat the Grand Rapids Griffins 3-2 on Wednesday night at Van Andel Arena. With the win, the Monsters are now 15-8-1-1 and are currently in second place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
The Monsters scored the lone goal of the opening frame after Tyler Angle notched a power-play tally off feeds from Carson Meyer and Tyler Sikura at 9:44. Justin Scott doubled the lead for Cleveland with a marker at 1:31 off helpers from Josh Dunne and Thomas Schemitsch, but Grand Rapids' Turner Elson recorded a goal at 5:20 cutting the score to 2-1 heading into the final intermission. The Griffins' Troy Loggins tied the game at 4:12 of the third period, but Dunne notched a tally at 17:16 assisted by Cliff Pu and Dillon Simpson securing a 3-2 win for the Monsters.
Cleveland's Justin Kapelmaster made 26 saves for the victory while Grand Rapids' Kaden Fulcher stopped 33 shots in defeat.
The Monsters return home to host the Rochester Americans on Saturday, May 8, for a 7:00 p.m. puck drop at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Follow the games with full coverage on FOX Sports 1350AM 'The Gambler', AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 1 1 1 - - 3
GR 0 1 1 - - 2
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 36 1/6 6/6 29 min / 10 inf
GR 28 0/6 5/6 39 min / 11 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Kapelmaster W 26 2 2-0-0
GR Fulcher L 33 3 1-2-2
Cleveland Record: 15-8-1-1, 2nd Central Division
Grand Rapids Record: 12-10-3-1, 3rd Central Division
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 5, 2021
- Condors Storm Back to Defeat Colorado, 2-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Foerster and York Multi-Point Games in Rivalry Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Currie, Angello Guide Penguins to 6-3 Victory - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Break Through in Third Period to Defeat Bears, 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Prevail over Griffins with 3-2 Victory - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Suffer Rare Home Loss, Lose 5-3 against Crunch - Utica Comets
- Tyce Thompson Scores First Pro Goal in 6-3 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Raddysh Records Hat Trick in 5-3 Win over Comets - Syracuse Crunch
- Texas Stars Add Mavrik Bourque to Roster - Texas Stars
- Iowa Signs Defenseman Daemon Hunt to ATO - Iowa Wild
- San Jose Barracuda Recall Forward Kyle Topping from Orlando Solar Bears - San Jose Barracuda
- Game Preview: Condors Start Homestand Tonight at 6 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Woll's 57-Save Performance Guides Marlies Past Rocket in Overtime - Toronto Marlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Sign Brett Gallant, Adam Helewka, Cole Clayton to AHL Deals
- Monsters Celebrate Fifth Anniversary of Calder Cup Championship
- AHL Board of Governors Approves Plan for Schedule Unification
- Monsters Late Fight Not Enough in 4-1 Loss to Griffins
- Monsters Pick up 6-4 Win over Griffins in Home Finale