Monsters Pick up a Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Griffins
GRAND RAPIDS, MI - The Cleveland Monsters came up short in a 2-1 overtime loss to the Grand Rapids Griffins on Saturday evening at Van Andel Arena. With the overtime loss, the Monsters are now 0-2-1-0 and are currently tied for fifth place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
Following a scoreless first two periods, Grand Rapids struck first after Michael Rasmussen converted on a power-play opportunity at 3:35 of the final frame. Ryan MacInnis responded for the Monsters with a breakaway marker at 8:43 off assists from Jake Christiansen and Thomas Schemitsch tying the game at 1-1 and forcing overtime. With a Monsters penalty from the third period rolling into the extra frame, Dennis Cholowski scored a power-play goal at 1:05 to claim the game for the Griffins.
Cleveland's Brad Thiessen made 28 saves in defeat while Grand Rapids' Pat Nagle stopped 22 shots in victory.
The Monsters visit the Rockford IceHogs on Monday, February 22, for a 7:00 p.m. puck drop at BMO Harris Bank Center. Follow the games with full coverage on FOX Sports 1350AM 'The Gambler', AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 0 0 1 0 - 1
GR 0 0 1 1 - 2
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 23 0/2 4/6 42 min / 9 inf
GR 30 2/6 2/2 4 min / 2 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Thiessen OT 28 2 0-2-1
GR Nagle W 22 1 2-1-0
Cleveland Record: 0-2-1-0, T-5th Central Division
Grand Rapids Record: 3-2-0-0, T-3rd Central Division
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2021
- The Zayde and Zane Show Leads Opening Night Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Start Fast, Stack 10 Goals - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Shut Down by Phantoms, 3-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Amerks Hold off Crunch for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- A Grand Return for the Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Mahura Recalled - San Diego Gulls
- Monsters Pick up a Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Burroughs Returns to Eagles, Four Reassigned to Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Dallas Stars Recall Forward Rhett Gardner from Texas - Texas Stars
- McMichael's Hat Trick, 34 Saves from Fucale Earns Bears 3-1 Win over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Gulls Suffer First Loss of Season - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Changes
- Blue Jackets Reassign Dalpe, MacInnis to Cleveland from Taxi Squad
- Shorthanded Monsters Battle to 6-3 Win over IceHogs
- Monsters Host BHC Night & Cavs Day in Weekend Homestand Versus IceHogs
- Monsters Announce Three Roster Moves