Monarchs Force Game Six as Growlers Fall 2-1 in Ovetime
The Monarchs kept their season alive after a 2-1 overtime victory over the Newfoundland Growlers at The Rinks at Exeter in New Hampshire Friday night.
The Monarchs started the game with some pace, outshooting the Growlers 13-7 in the first period. Both Michael Garteig and Charles Williams would have perfect first periods to keep the game at a scoreless tie after 20 minutes of play.
In the second period Manchester did manage to beat Gartieg, on the powerplay, 11:30 seconds into the period after David Kolomatis smacked a rebound behind the Growlers goalie to give the Monarchs a 1-0 lead.
It took Zack O'Brien 3 minutes and 3 seconds to respond for the Growlers, making good on a partial breakaway to deke the puck into the cage behind Williams to tie the game at 1.
While the Growlers outshot the Monarchs 16-6 in the third period, nothing else would get past the Monarchs goalie as the game shifted to overtime where Pierre-Luc Mercier deflected the puck into the Growlers net, just 2:16 into the extra frame to force the series back to Mile One Centre for game six Monday night.
Zach O'Brien scored his team-leading 7th goal of the postseason
The game was played at the practice facility of the Manchester Monarchs, The Rinks at Exeter, as the SNHU Arena was unavailable.
The three stars were 3 - D. Kolomatis (MAN), 2 - C. Williams(MAN) and 1 - P. Mercier (MAN)
The series shifts back to Mile One Centre for game six Monday night, puck drop is 7:00 p.m. Tickets are on sale now at the Mile One Centre Box Office, by phone at 576-7657 or online at mileonecentre.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 3, 2019
- Cyclones Pushed to the Brink Following Game 4 Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Force Game Six as Growlers Fall 2-1 in Ovetime - Newfoundland Growlers
- Monarchs Force Game 6 with 2-1 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Transactions - May 3 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Central Division Final, Game 4 vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Growlers Partner with Dollar a Day Foundation - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Chris Powell Joins Royals as Dir. of Corporate Sales and Sponsorships - Reading Royals
- Special Touch: Power Play Helps Lift 'Blades to 4-0 Win - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.