Monarchs Fall Flat in 6-0 Loss to Thunder
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs let up four first-period goals against the Adirondack Thunder, in a 6-0 loss, Wednesday night at SNHU Arena.
The Monarchs (22-19-1-1) were unable to break the Thunder (24-15-3-2) who scored early and often and snapped the Monarchs six-game home-winning streak.
The Thunder opened scoring early, at 2:05 of the first period when Dylan Walchuk scored his sixth goal of the season, after wrapping the puck around the net and sliding it past the right pad of Monarchs goaltender, Cole Kehler to make the score, 1-0.
The Thunder scored again at 3:56 of the first when John Edwardh scored his 15th of the season, receiving the breakout pass and skating in all alone, beating Kehler on the blocker side, making the score, 2-0.
The Thunder added another at 8:05 of the first period when Walchuk scored his seventh of the season, second of the night, jamming the puck underneath the pad of Kehler off of a rebound on a shot by Blake Thompson, making the score, 3-0.
The Thunder made it 4-0 at 10:35 of the first when James Henry scored his 11th goal of the season, picking up the puck at the top of the crease and whipping it past Kehler for a power-play goal, to extend the Thunder lead and ending the night for Kehler between the pipes.
The Thunder increased their lead at 9:33 of the second period when Mike Szmatula scored his 16th goal of the season, on the power play, wristing a shot from the left circle past the glove of Monarchs goaltender, Charles Williams, making the score, 5-0.
The Thunder ended scoring at 17:35 of the second period when Szmatula scored his 17th of the season, second of the night, sneaking the puck through the pads of Williams, making the final score, 6-0.
The Monarchs return to action Friday, February 1 at 7 p.m., when they take on the Maine Mariners at SNHU Arena. For tickets, Season Memberships and group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 30, 2019
- Gladiators Shut Down Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Besse Burns Former Team in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Grizzlies Outlast Oilers for Sweep - Tulsa Oilers
- Atlanta Extends Point Streak to Seven Games with 4-0 Shutout Win over Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Steelheads Comeback Falls Short, Drop 4-2 to Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Admirals Gain a Point in Overtime Loss to Stingrays - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Fall Flat in 6-0 Loss to Thunder - Manchester Monarchs
- Four First-Period Goals Propel Thunder to 6-0 Shutout over Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Shake off Mariners, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Fall in Reading Despite Furgele's Goal - Maine Mariners
- Lisoway Dealt to Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- IceMen Pick up Defenseman in Trade with Reading - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals Nab F Fawcett, D Cockerill from JAX for D Dornbrock - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - January 30 - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Beast Mount Late Comeback, Take Down Railers in Shootout - Brampton Beast
- Railers Lose See-Saw Battle 5-4 Via Shootout in Brampton - Worcester Railers HC
- Hora Returned on Loan from Phantoms - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Royals Host Maine for Second Time this Season - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Win 2-1 Nail Biter in Tulsa - Utah Grizzlies
- Four Score: 'Blades Come from Behind to Topple IceMen, 5-4 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.