Minnesota United Signs South African Forward Bongokuhle Hlongwane
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United announced today the club has signed South African international Bongokuhle Hlongwane, via transfer from South African Premier Division side Maritzburg United, to a three-year contract with a one-year club option. Hlongwane will be the club's first U22 initiative signing and will join the Loons pending a physical and receipt of his P1 Visa and ITC. Additionally, he will occupy an international spot on Minnesota's roster.
"The one thing we've spoken about is getting someone with game-changing pace on this roster," said MNUFC Head Coach Adrian Heath. "He has absolutely explosive pace, but he also looks to combine and build with his teammates. We love his raw talents, but his football IQ is exceptional. Ask any defender what scares them and who the hardest players to mark are and inevitably its someone with intelligent movement and pace and we feel he possesses both of these qualities. He's got huge upside; he's now broken into the South African national team and we've spoken to his national team coach and he says it's only the tip of the iceberg for what's to come. He will be a work in progress for the club, but his physical attributes, his raw talent and football intelligence are impressive. We're pleased to sign him, we know there was competition to get him and so we are pleased he's a Loon."
The 21-year-old center forward joins Minnesota United after spending his professional career with Maritzburg United. He made his pro debut at age 18 and has eight goals and seven assists. He scored his first professional goal in June of 2019 against Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila. Hlongwane was nominated for the South American Premier Division Player of the Season award for the 2020-21 season. Internationally, the South-African international made his national team debut in 2019 and has two goals in six appearances. He scored his first international goal in 2021 against Uganda and scored the game-winning goal against Ghana in a World Cup Qualifier.
Get tickets to the first five regular season home games in 2022 now before single game tickets go on sale in February with the First Five ticket package. Check our website at mnufc.com for more information and follow Minnesota United's social channels for regular updates on the club.
Transaction: Minnesota United signs Bongokuhle Hlongwane to a three-year deal with a one-year club option.
Date of birth: June 20, 2000 (21 years old)
Weight: 165 lbs
Last club: Maritzburg United
Birthplace: South Africa
Citizenship: South Africa
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 5, 2022
- New England Revolution Announce 2022 Preseason Schedule - New England Revolution
- Minnesota United to Host SC Paderborn 07 in International Friendly - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Defender Raymon Gaddis - FC Cincinnati
- David Blitzer & Smith Entertainment Group to Purchase Real Salt Lake - MLS
- David Blitzer & Smith Entertainment Group to Purchase Real Salt Lake - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United Signs South African Forward Bongokuhle Hlongwane - Minnesota United FC
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Defender Aboubacar Keita from Columbus Crew - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew Acquires up to $450,000 in Allocation Money from the Colorado Rapids in Exchange for Aboubacar Keita - Columbus Crew SC
- New York City FC Homegrown James Sands Loaned to Rangers FC - New York City FC
- 2022 eMLS League Series 1 Presented by Coca-Cola® Shifted to Virtual Event - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy Announce Time Change for September 4 Home Match against Sporting Kansas City - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Announce 2022 Preseason Games at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Announce Preseason Friendly against the LA Galaxy on February 19 - D.C. United
- Toyota Stadium to Host 2022 SheBelieves Cup Final Doubleheader Featuring United States vs. Iceland, New Zealand vs. Czech Republic - FC Dallas
- CF Montréal Announces Changes to Training Camp Schedule - Club de Foot Montreal
- Revolution Announce Changes to Two Home Matches in June - New England Revolution
- MNUFC Match at New England Moved to June 19 - Minnesota United FC
- St. Louis City SC Announces Bradley Carnell as Club's First Head Coach - St. Louis City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- Minnesota United FC at LA Galaxy Preview
- Minnesota United Falls to Inter Miami CF 2-1
- Minnesota United FC at Inter Miami CF Preview
- Minnesota United and Head Coach Adrian Heath Agree to New Contract Through 2024
- Voting Opens Today for 2022 MLS All-Star GamePresented by Target