Minnesota Lynx Forward Napheesa Collier Named WNBA Rookie of the Month
MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL - The WNBA today named Minnesota Lynx forward Napheesa Collier Rookie of the Month for the month of July. This is the first Rookie of the Month award of the season for Collier and the fourth such honor in franchise history (Maya Moore- twice in 2011 and Candice Wiggins- once in 2008).
After 20 games this season, the 6-1 forward out of the University of Connecticut ranks second among rookies in scoring (11.2 ppg) and rebounding (6.2 rpg) as well as fourth overall in the WNBA in steals (1.85 spg) and fifth overall in minutes played (32.5 mpg). Collier is the only player to rank among the top five in all nine major statistical categories among rookies.
Collier is coming off her first WNBA All-Star appearance on Saturday in Las Vegas, where she was the only rookie at this year's game, finishing with four points and two rebounds. She became the first Lynx rookie since Maya Moore (2011) and fourth Lynx rookie ever (Moore, Seimone Augustus and Betty Lennox) to be named to the All-Star Game in their first WNBA season.
Highlights from Collier's month include:
July 2 vs. Atlanta: Grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds, including five offensive boards on her way to her first double-digit rebounding performance of her career in Minnesota's 85-68 win over the Dream.
July 10 at Chicago: Stuffed the stat sheet in Minnesota's 73-72 win against the Sky as she finished with 13 points, four rebounds, three steals and three blocks. Collier became the 10th player in Lynx history to register 3+ steals and 3+ blocks in the same game.
July 14 vs. Phoenix: Recorded her first career double-double as she pulled in 11 rebounds and adding 14 points on 6-of-9 shooting in the Lynx 75-62 win against the Mercury. Collier also swiped a team-high three steals.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 1, 2019
- Liberty Fall to Wings in Dallas, 87-64 - New York Liberty
- Minnesota Lynx Forward Napheesa Collier Named WNBA Rookie of the Month - Minnesota Lynx
- Nneka Ogwumike Named July Player of the Month - Los Angeles Sparks
- Delle Donne Named July Player of the Month - Washington Mystics
- Monumental Sports & Entertainment, Deloitte Announce Sponsorship - Washington Mystics
- WNBA Tips off Fit Month Presented by Kaiser Permanente - WNBA
- New York Liberty to Host Third Annual Unity Day Game on August 11 at Barclays Center - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Lynx Stories
- Statement from Minnesota Timberwolves & Lynx Owner Glen Taylor on the Passing of Sid Hartman
- Lynx FastBreak Foundation to Raise Funds for Breast Health Awareness
- Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx Host Third Pack the Vote Registration Event
- Napheesa Collier Named to All-WNBA Second Team
- Napheesa Collier Named to WNBA All-Defensive Second Team