Miners Score Early and Often, Defeating the Otters 13-2
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - The Southern Illinois Miners scored six runs in the first two innings, chasing Otters starter Austin Nicely out of the game in the third, as the Miners won big over the Otters by a score of 13-2.
Gianfranco Wawoe led off the game with an RBI double, touching home plate on an RBI triple by Brett Siddall to score the game's first run. Siddall then scored on a groundout by Stephen Lohr to make the score 2-0.
In the second inning, the Miners sent eight men to the plate scoring four runs, in large part to a three-run RBI triple to Joe Duncan, making the score 5-0. A sac-fly by Lohr made the score 6-0 after two.
A two-run single by Anthony Brocato in the third extended the Miners lead to 8-0, pulling Nicely in the process.
The Otters would score in the seventh on a two-run home run by Hunter Cullen, but that would not be enough as the Miners scored 13 runs on 15 hits, the most runs they have ever scored at Bosse Field.
The Otters will take a day off before traveling to Crestwood, Ill. to take on the Windy City Thunderbolts on Tuesday.
First pitch will be set for 7:05 p.m. and can be heard on the radio at 91.5 WUEV or evansvilleotters.com with David Nguyen on the play-by-play.
The Otters are having many promotions in honor of celebrating their 25th anniversary season in 2019. The next home game will be Friday, May 17 against the Florence Freedom and will be sponsored by Big Brothers, Big Sisters.
To purchase a season ticket or group outing package, call (812) 435-8686 or visit the Bosse Field front office at 23 Don Mattingly Way, Evansville, Ind. The front office is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Evansville Otters are the 2006 and 2016 Frontier League champions.
The Otters play all home games at historic Bosse Field, located at 23 Don Mattingly Way in Evansville, Ind. Stay up-to-date with the Evansville Otters by visiting evansvilleotters.com, or follow the Otters on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For more information, visit evansvilleotters.com or call 812-435-8686.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Letkeman Dominates, Grizzlies Win Series - Gateway Grizzlies
- Boomers Fall in Rubber Game at Gateway - Schaumburg Boomers
- Washington Shutout for Second-Straight Night, Loses Opening Series - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Shutout Wild Things 4-0 for Series Win - River City Rascals
- Miners Blast Otters to Take Sunday Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Miners Score Early and Often, Defeating the Otters 13-2 - Evansville Otters
- Crushers beat Thunderbolts 1-0 in 12 innings - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rubber Match Ends in Extra Innings Loss for ThunderBolts - Windy City ThunderBolts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Evansville Otters Stories
- Otters Sign Lefty Justin Lewis
- Otters Sign Outfielder Amicangelo; Send Cullen to the RailCats
- Otters President John Stanley to Serve a One-Year Term as Frontier League Board President
- Former Otter Sagara Named Co-Pitching Coach for the Texas Rangers
- Evan the Otter Participates in "Real Men Wear Pink" Campaign